Beats Music Offline files

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by socialleper, Feb 9, 2014.

1. socialleper

socialleper

I don't know if anyone has checked out the new Beats Music streaming service. but since AT&T (my cell carrier) was offering 3 months free, I thought I'd check it out. The service allows you to download the music for "offline listening."
    I'm a bit of a computer guy, and I know that these files are stored on the phone with a long name like "trxxxxxxxx.320", just as Amazon Kindle files are stored on your phone using a similarly strange name convention. There are some that are inclined towards taking those proprietary Kindle files and converting them into standard .Epub or .mobi files. Some might also be inclined towards converting these Beats Music files into something more universal like an MP3 file. I would be inclined to hearing from anyone that knows how to do this.:ninja:

2. socialleper

socialleper

I'm gonna bump this one in hopes of finding someone with hacker skillz.

3. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

Is the file extension really ".320" or do they use something different?

4. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Anything can be reverse engineered, so if this service has any kind of userbase I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone will write up a tool to do what you describe.

But in the meantime, you realize that anything "streaming" over your computer's audio or video is yours to capture and keep forever if you so choose, right?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

This seems like a lot of effort when you could probably just google whatever song/album and download a torrent. You could always just use a youtube downloader and rip the audio.

7. socialleper

socialleper

Yes, I used to save streaming videos by finding them in my Firefox temp and renaming them. This is a mobile device service that works through an app, but I'm not sure where the temp directory for this is or what the resulting format would need to be to work. I also don't know if the streaming version comes in at the same bit rate as the downloaded 320kbps.

8. socialleper

socialleper

I've been trying to stop myself for using torrents and go more legit. The BeatsMusic service is at least paying the artists something since the usual subscription is a flat rate for all you can eat downloads. If I like the service and the quality I might keep it, but I want to actually have the usable files. I don't like Kindle books because they come in a proprietary format. I don't like that these downloads are in a proprietary format that I can't use on my computer or Sansa Clip.

9. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Color me baffled - you want to "go more legit" by violating the terms of service/terms of use and circumvent their copy protection? Not to mention the fact that subscription streaming services are well documented as total ripoffs for the artists, but we're forced to go along with it because there's no alternative.

If you want to "go legit" buy direct from the artist.

If you want to steal it, all you have to do is download an app that will let you capture the audio playing on your phone/computer. Then just hit "record" while you're streaming. Kind of like bringing a video camera into a movie theatre, but without the loss in quality. On OS X I use Soundflower into Logic or Audacity, and on Windows I want to say the name of the application I use is Audio Cable or something? Again, into Audacity. I'm sure you can find something equivalent for your phone if you look.

10. socialleper

socialleper

MORE legit. Not totally legit. Although I am buying more music that before.

11. Anthem

Anthem

I've been trying to figure this out for a while too myself. I see the files saved as "trxxxxxxx.901" for instance. All my files seem to end in 901. I've tried changing to many audio extensions to see if they would open, using VLC. Nothing worked.

I have no problem with downloading from another source, since it is easier, but I feel, if i am going to be paying for this service, then i should be able to use it on my older ipods and MP3 players too.

I also feel that there should be an offline mode for PC and MAC as well (especially since my iphone has very limited memory and streaming is not always a reasonable option).

Prior to Beats, there was MOG.
    Mog implemented a similar encryption method for storing and sorting its files, changing file extensions proved to be futile for this end as well.

I wish some genius app developer could throw a bone here! I'm trying to do this for personal use only.

I know there must be a way!