Beaver Bar Daytona Bike Week - Advice?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by randyg, Feb 4, 2013.

1. randyg

randyg Supporting Member

Here's the deal. Our band may have a chance to play the Beaver Bar next month on the first weekend of bike week in Daytona. Anyone played there and have any advice on what to expect? The main thing I'm concerned about is our singer. He is the keyboard player's 11 year old son. That's right , I can start a new club , the I back an 11 year old rock singer club. It is an 8 1/2 hour trip one way and 5 days away from home. The boy's dad is looking to get him "discovered" but I am not sure a bike week bar will be worth the effort. Any information abut the place would be great. Also , if anyone wants to check the kid out , look on Youtube. Brooks Paul , Rock This Town Tonight. Thanks

2. Renaissance

Renaissance

It's been my experience most bikers are extremely nice people and will be very polite, especially to an 11 year old. The downside is you will be observing them in their "natural habitat".

I would not expect to hear of an 11 year old being discovered --- in the Beaver Bar --- in Daytona --- during Bike Week!! I'm just saying...

3. randyg

randyg Supporting Member

That's what I was thinking. I have ridden bikes for years and met some of the greatest people while doing so. We would also be playing in the afternoon so at least the natural habitat will be a well lit one.

4. Kryptos

Kryptos

Someone thinks taking an 11 year old child into the Beaver Bar during biker week is appropriate behavior?

Sounds like a recipe for child endangerment charges. Just call the Volusia County district attorney when you arrive and make arrangements to peacefully surrender, it will save the child having to see his father arrested.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

Just out of curiosity. How does an 11 year old legally perform in a bar?

I've ridden bikes since the ripe old age of 13 and, have been to "Bike Week" 3 times in the late 70s and Sturgis 4 times since the 80s. I don't know how Daytona has been since MY last time, but unless it has changed DRASTICALLY in that amount of time, there is no way on Gods green earth that I would allow an 11 year old to see what goes on there.

I mean, I wouldn't necessarily be concerned for his safety, but I would sure as shootin be concerned about what he might "experience"....if you know what I mean.....:D

7. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear! :bassist:

8. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

Yeah....How does a woman hold her liquor?

By the ears......

9. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

There's going to be problem with that. Bet on it.

10. jaywa

jaywa

If Daytona Bike Week is anything like the Sturgis Rally, then having an 11-year-old anywhere near there is a really bad idea. Played the Sturgis gig several times and I know of which I speak.

And anyway I'm pretty sure an 11-year-old band member is gonna be a deal-breaker with just about any bar in the country.

11. agreatheight

agreatheight

12. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Considering the number of "well known" bars/clubs frequented by bike week partiers that bring in national acts, the thought that ANYONE would be "discovered" at an unknown location is comical at best.

13. Factor88

Factor88

I'm not going to comment on if it is appropriate that an 11 year old play at this gig..but seeing how the bar's facebook page is already advertising the kid's bike week appearance by a link labeled something like "10 year old prince of rock", I'm guessing it was not a deal breaker........

14. jaywa

jaywa

Well I guess they must have taken the gig then.

15. randyg

randyg Supporting Member

Thanks for the comments. All of us in the band agree with all of you in thinking it is a very bad idea. The regular band is not going. The kids dad has found another band and he is going to front for them. I really hope it works out ok. The kids parents are really good people and they are confident they can "protect" him at Daytona. I just hope their quest for fame does not bite them in the butt. I will say , playing in this band has been the most fun and rewarding experience I have ever had in music. Great players , fantastic guys , no egos and the kid brings out the "kid" in all of us old guys. We don't play many bars and when we do , they have an all ages allowed with parent night. By the way , have you seen how 13 to 15 year old girls dress these days? Holy crap! We do realize that we get a lot of local attention from the novelty of it and not our talent.

16. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

there could be partial nudity (topless patrons or dancers for the bar)...

not uncommon for a Daytona bikers bar during Bike Week.

probably not a cool venue for an 11 year old young man from a parent's perspective.

17. randyg

randyg Supporting Member

The bar owner has promised them no nudity. She may can control her employees , don't know how she can control the crowd. I know too much control over the crowd at bike week will result in no crowd at all. Folks come to party.

18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

LOL " OK folks listen up please there will be a child on stage tonight so ladies keep your tops down I'm asking that you folks be civil and remember no fighting and don't forget to tip your waitress"

19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have played bike week in Laconia, Myrtle Beach, Daytona and Sturgis and never had a problem with anyone. However, I would never bring an 11 year old there. He will be exposed to a lot of drinking, swearing and possibly some nudity. I have even seen people engaging in sexual activities. The venue might not let him perform anyway. In my opinion, there are some gigs where it's appropriate to let children attend. Bike week is not one of them. Bad idea.

20. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

Well, yeah...but it's not about the "employees". It's about the folks IN the establishment. Look, I can't tell any parent how to raise their children. I'm a parent and Grand parent. It's a rough proposition in and of itself (WITHOUT the added problem of a bunch of drunken bikers) And, I understand that the stage time (apparently) is in the daytime hours.

My question remains. Have you been to a "bike week"?? We started drinking at 10:00 AM and didn't stop until 9AM the next day - repeat process. Sleep for a couple of hours and have at it again.

Like I stated earlier, There is no way in HELL that I would take a child into that. No way. It's one thing to go to the beach, hit DisneyWorld and the like, but it's another thing altogether to get in the middle of a bunch of partiers.

Again, IMO, YMMV, and all the rest of the PC nonsense...:D

21. randyg

randyg Supporting Member

I'll post again after they get back from the gig and I find out how it went. Some kids have all the luck. My dad only took me fishing when I was 11. Wait , maybe I was the lucky one.