Beavis Audio Trotsky Drive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thunderscreech, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Thunderscreech

Thunderscreech

Looking around on his website, I stumbled across this: Trotsky Drive.

It looks like it would make a nice "Dirty Boost" (Gandhirrea's post got me thinking about it) Not sure about bass response, but input and output cap values adjusts could fix this, I'm guessing. Not that I need a dirty boost particularly badly, but I'm curious. And the treble switch would need to go.
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Media:
    Gotta love the controls description.
    "Volume Knob: Louder or not louder." :D
  3. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk Supporting Member

so anyone have one?
  4. Toasted

Toasted Supporting Member

$uperpuma is making them.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Malekko

Malekko Malekko Heavy Industry

I have two of Pumas (#001 and #007) I have to say, it is not only one of the best LOOKING pedals (acid etched enclosure) But it also sounds FANTASTIC!!! I would recommend one of Superpumas because he makes sure the transistor in it is perrrrrrrfect. And yes, it sounds great on a bass!!!
  7. dorfmeister

dorfmeister

Anything new on this?
  8. rcubed

rcubed

Wow, very simple circuit for that. I'll have to build one up on my breadboard and see how it does with bass.
  9. mrsquishy

mrsquishy

bump!

anybody else tried this on bass?
  10. SnakeAnthony

SnakeAnthony

I'd like to get one headed my way soon.
  11. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk Supporting Member

I want to get the atari punk console!
  12. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Bumping this...anyone else had any experience of it?
  13. Fishyfan

Fishyfan

Ill take a Fuzzlab, Armageddon Processor, Precision Ass Tornado, Subcommander, and a Stutter pedal. :D

My first reaction to the Trotsky link above:

AWWWWW, THERE SO CUTE!!!!! (said in the most annoying voice humanly possible.)
  14. Chronicle

Chronicle

may buy it.
  15. Bootzilla

Bootzilla

The switch is actually a treble cut switch so if you leave the treble switch out that will put it on "more treble". You could hardwire it to less treble if you want to or you could mod it to cut more treble by putting a bigger value cap instead of the 22nf.

You could also hardwire the 22nf to ground and then put another bigger cap to ground with the switch in front of it for a dark mode. (note: a bigger cap will not cut more treble but will put the cutoff further back so it will also cut some mids and a bit more treble)

edit: Also C1 and C2 are the only bottlenecks for lowend (I think) so increasing those will probably be a good idea (start with increasing C1 to 100nf like C2 and if that's not enough increase both to something higher).
  16. gnasher1993

gnasher1993

Or you could you put a rotary switch to switch the capacitors. Or if you can find something suitable, you could use a variable capacitor. They aren't very common in audio applications but you could wire a linear potentiometer across a higher value cap (e.g. 100nF/220nF) so you could vary bass tolerance etc...

Edit: the input cap is definitely too low to get a reasonable bass response. So, I would change C1 and probably even C2 to 220nF.
  17. rcubed

rcubed

Yeah, I'd go with at least 0.1uF for each to start out and then play around with that filtering cap to ground. You could also add another diode in series with each one and get a softer clipping.
  18. gnasher1993

gnasher1993

It would be pretty could to have selectable clipping. So a rotary switch wired up to say 4 pairs of clipping diodes. That would be awesome...
  19. rcubed

rcubed

Just a regular throw switch would work for that.
  20. gnasher1993

gnasher1993

I've got some sort of thing for rotary knobs :bag:. I don't know why, it just seems so cool.
  21. dermihi

dermihi

I know this thread is long dead, but anyway:

I just built a Trotsky Drive using a 2N3904 as transistor and 2 1N34A germanium diodes for clipping.

Results: sucks with a passive bass, there really isn't much output volume. :scowl:
    With an active Ibby though the sound is nice and pretty dirty although there isn't much low end left.

Conclusion: I like it. :) I wouldn't want it as an always-on but I'm sure I can find a purpose. :bassist: