1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Beck. Manchester, England. Sometime...

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by miles'tone, Nov 13, 2012.

1. miles'tone

miles'tone

Hi there Justin, great to see you here on Talkbass!

I thought I'd remind you of an absolute corker of a gig you guys played in Manchester in about 2000/2001.
    The whole band was truckin' along at about 110% at least, busting out ace moves, laying down most of Midnite Vultures amongst others. The band was tight, the mix fandango, all ending with you and a couple of guys from the band feeding massive lengths of what looked like space-age industrial airducting from the stage set into the crowd, who in turn passed these giant lengths back over their heads and into the street. Cue lots of panicing stagecrew and security trying to get them back! Ha! Whilst all this was happening, ear-piercing feedback was being emitted from probably every instrument/effect on stage leaving Beck standing alone front of stage wearing every mic stand available (it was alot) just screaming AAAAAGGHHHH! AAAAAGGGGHH!! Over and over for about 5 minutes.
    To this day, this has been the best live performance I have ever witnessed.
    Nothing could bring down the buzz at that gig, not even the rather attractive girl (I didn't know her) who turned around and screamed 'YOU F**KIN PRICK!!' at me before punching me in the eye. Turned out a guy next to me had helped himself to a handful of bum-pie that he shouldn't have and she thought it was me! Cheers mate.
    An absolute bonkers night that remains, again, the best gig I have ever seen. With one eye. Ah hell, it was the best thing I've seen with BOTH eyes!

Miles.

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Wow, this just made my day. What an incredible recounting. Sorry about the eye, that's almost as mad as the show itself.

I just shared this with Beck and Roger Manning, both of whom I'm with right now on tour in Australia. Everyone enjoyed the memory and appreciated very much your complements of what we remember as a pretty fun and crazy night.

Best,
    Justin

3. miles'tone

miles'tone

Wow, thanks Justin that's brilliant! The eye thing was ok as I was still young enough to consider it a 'gig trophy' back then ;)
    A big Hi to all the guys from me and all the best for the tour!

A big thanks again to you all for providing the epic memories. Priceless!

Miles. :)

4. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

:) Good stuff, thank you Miles.

5. Register to disable this ad