1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Beefin' Up My Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by old_skool, Feb 24, 2002.

1. old_skool

old_skool

The time has come, I want to beef up my MIM Fender Jazz V. I’m thinking about upgrading the bridge, the pre-amp, and the control knobs.

I’ve been giving the J-Retro quite a bit of thought. That would take care of my pre-amp problems and my control knob problems. I looked through my back issues of BassPlayer magazine and they made it seem very confusing. Does anyone have any comments about it? What is the cost? Is it worth the money? Will this fit into my current bass with little problem, it already has a pre-amp in it but would this cavity work? How do you feel about the construction of it? I’ve already been to: http://www.vintagebass.com/, http://home.freeuk.net/epro/main.htm, and http://pub41.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm2 and haven’t found answers to all of my questions. Are there other pre-amps that any of you think that I should look into? I’m open for suggestions.

Now for the bridge, I really haven’t done as much research for my bridge as my pre-amp. I want something in a chrome finish, that will increase sustain and punch. I don’t want to dramatically effect the over all balance of my bass. If it gets a little more body heavy, that’s ok with me though. I would greatly prefer a drop-in replacement. I really don’t want to be drilling any unnecessary holes in my bass. Also, does anyone know the string spacing on the model of bass I have? I want the replacement to have the same string spacing as my current one.

I know, It seems like a lot but any replies are greatly appreciated. Links to suggested product are also greatly appreciated.
  2. old_skool

old_skool

C'mon people, please?!?!
  3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

The J-Retro has been talked about AD NAUSEUM lately... just dip into the Pickups forum and you'll find a butt-ton of info on them. Doing a search will give at least a dozen threads on the topic.

The bridge is a little sticky, as direct drop-ins for a Fender V are not too common, as far as I've seen. One of your options is a Badass V, which I've seen going for (ballpark) $100+.
  4. old_skool

old_skool

As I said I did do a search but I didnt not find all the info I needed.

Thanks for the info on the bridges. Is the BA-V a drop in replacement? So far the other options Ive considered have been Schaller and Gotoh. Does anyone have any info on these?
  5. old_skool

old_skool

I reaaaaaaally need your help guys. The music store around here just tells me to buy a new bass when I want help with these kind of things. So you see, you TBers are my only hope and seeing as I have 1 reply to this thread, other than my own replies, things are looking grim. I have pretty much decided on the J-Retro but Im very unsure what to do for a new bridge.
  6. ChaosGwar

ChaosGwar

The badass V should be a direct drop in replacement. Warmoth Stewmac and Musiciansfriend should have the specs on several bridges. you may have to sacrifice somethings to get the better bridge. The BadAss weighs a lot more than the stock bridges, and might effect your balance. You might also have to drill extra holes, or sacrifice a few milimeters of sr=tring spacing. Schaller and Gotoh make decent bridges, too.

As far as the J-retro, I've been lookinf into these too. I've seen em on ebay for $100, or so, can't really remember. check out ebay, you will more than likely find more options and better prices compared to Warmoth, Stewmac or MF.
  7. old_skool

old_skool

Thanks for the reply. As of right now I plan on getting retro'd. Still looking around @ bridges though.
  8. ChaosGwar

ChaosGwar

Have you thought about a bridge cover? I don't know if they are available for 5 strings, but I'm sure you could get one custom made.
  9. old_skool

old_skool

A bridge cover? Like one ones old Fenders have? I really dont have much use for one but it would look pretty cool. Why do you ask?
  10. ChaosGwar

ChaosGwar

From what I have heard, they add some beef to the sound. I can't verify this yet. When I get my P bass put back together, with bridge cover, I'll let you know.