Been heavily debating purchasing a 1964 P bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A-Step-Towards, Nov 22, 2012.

1. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I have heard these are not a good investment , compared to putting money in some sort of money market. Well the money i would be buying this with would be sitting in a bank with barely any interest, at least not enough to combat inflation. Thus I am thinking of buying this P bass, I can pick it up in person for $5900 cash. That seems like a pretty good deal to me, considering its shape and what I have seen refinished ones go for.

Thoughts? opinions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121015627656&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:US:1123

Happy T day btw.
  2. bh2

bh2

Wow... A lot of cash there but one lovely P Bass...

Looks in much better shape than my 62 Jazz.

Really could not justify spending that much on a bass though.
  3. iunno

iunno

Well I love P basses, but I would never spend that much on one. If you're sure about their value increasing you may as well, though. It would be more fun than having the money sit in a savings account, plus you might get a good return.
  4. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

I collected vintage basses for quite awhile and while I'm a bit out of practice, the price seems reasonable in the current market. I wouldn't think of it in terms of investment though, there are more secure and predictable options. I'd buy it only if you can live without having that cash available to you and under the assumption (hopefully wrong) that you will ultimately lose money on it.
  5. bh2

bh2

Yes... will it be a player or a wall hanger or a case inhabitant?

I'll bet it plays nice.
  6. xroads

xroads

Best answer.
    As example, the vintage guitar market has taken a dive in the last few years; lots of people who were forced to sell lost money. It's basically like gambling.
  7. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

Man, it's an electric guitar. Of course there are better ways to spend $5 grand from an investment standpoint. An instrument like that was made to be played. Spend $1000 on a bass you can have fun with and drop the other $4k in your retirement fund or something :)
  8. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

+ 1 million
  9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Depends on your financial situation. If you can afford to buy the bass without effecting your other obligations or hurting your retirement account you should buy it.
  10. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

you could put 3k in an index fund and spend 2900 on a bass. :)
  11. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

I guess I don't understand your criteria here.

If it's $6k that you are willing to put into a highly speculative collectible like a guitar, it must not be money you will need in the next year or five.

In which case, a money market fund isn't where you should be putting it as an alternative.
  12. matey

matey

if you think it will make you happy dude buy it i can bearly play and spent 2200 on one, but it plays heaps better than the squire i started on :hyper:
  13. punkrocko

punkrocko Supporting Member

I say go for it. Throughout your lifetime, money will come and go, but a spectacular instrument could be a game changer in your musical journey. That being said, make SURE it’s a spectacular instrument.
  14. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

A little more story involved with this one than I would like to hear for an investment piece, especially the replaced/rewound pickup and extra screw holes in the PG, but it sure looks good.
  15. wilfred

wilfred

Dude that's killer! go for it and post lots of pics of her when you get it!
  16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Hi

Buy it and enjoy. If you are like me, guitars have a certain "magic" about them. I'm 47 and still get excited when I walk in a guitar store. They make me happy and forget about the rest of the garbage in my life. I just bought a 61 P. cool bass. Glad I did it. I buy, sell, and trade gear often. It's fun and its something I enjoy doing. Make sure it'd original. Take care and enjoy your life. You don't get a 2nd try at this!

Rob
  17. bh2

bh2

IMO it's way too much money...

Buy yourself a 62RI and buy me one for xmas. Then spend the rest on beer.
  18. chef wong

chef wong

I strongly suggest asking about the bass at the Fender Lounge Forum.
  19. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Maybe he just dropped $104k in his retirement fund.:). Everyone is different financially. Some drive Bentleys and other Kias.

I just dropped a similar amount on a new Fodera. Haven't lost a second of sleep thinking about it. I dont gamble, I don't take 3 expensive vacations a year, I don't do heavy drugs, dont drive insanely expensive cars, I don't have a cottage..... Might as well have fun with $$$ while you can as long as you have enough left for a rainy day IMO.

If it is truly original, I would buy it. Of course, it has to play and sound great too:bassist:
  20. el basso

el basso Supporting Member

i would have the master Bill Nash build you an identical one for $1900 - bank the rest!