Beethoven's 5th in C minor

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

In the second movement, there is a section (starting at bar 114) played legato (first few notes are Eb F G ) - how would you normally play this, for "economy of movement" you could play the entire part (8 bars or so) between 3rd and 4th Simandl's positions - alternatively, you could shift your way from half position to 4th, I guess? What is the most common & most musical approach?

Thanks for reading!

2. Simandl Fan

Simandl Fan

I've tried many different fingerings for this passage. Staying on one string as long as possible provides the best tone, but you have to shift a lot. Playing in as few positions as possible is good for fast passages but you then have to cross strings often. For that Beethoven passage, I like Simandl's fingering, but in bar 117 I play the Bb with my first finger, then 2 4 1 4 for the G Ab F G so I can play as much of bar 118 in second position as possible. Whichever fingering you choose, it's a nasty passage! I like to practice it at 88 to the 16th note; 6 clicks in a measure.

3. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Maybe nasty, but when it comes together, is one of my favourite sections in the symphony! I also use it as practice, for legato bowing. Thanks for replying, I'll keep experimenting with it!

4. ifg

ifg

the zimmerman fingerings work well. they're shifty but well considered.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

could you expand a little on the Zimmerman, please? Thanks

7. ifg

ifg

there are an indispensable set of books edited by oscar zimmerman (who was a master pedagogue at eastman back in the day) which offer bowings/fingerings for the complete parts (i.e., not excerpts) for brahms symphonies, beethoven symphonies, etc.

they aren't the modern approach to fingering (closer to simandl than not), but more often than not the fingerings/bowings here are the best option available.

in this particular excerpt, there's a lot more shifting than you might want at first approach, but if you work it through, i think you'll find it to "work" on the bass pretty well. i used them verboten the last time i played the symphony.

i'd attach a pdf, but i think the mods frown on this. the books are readily available via the usual online stores, and i think i've found a few sites that have the full books posted for free.

luck!
    jh

8. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

One of the few sites helped, thank you ifg!