BEF Pro expression pedal question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LSMFT6, Dec 13, 2013.

1. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

So, I have a BEF Pro and a Pitchfactor (upgrading to an H9 eventually) and I've been using the Mission/Pigtronix dual expression pedal (20k ohms) to control both. It seems to work fine for the BEF but the range is definitely a little off with the Pitchfactor. It's functional but the 0-100 sweep is definitely not smooth or uniform - it almost immediately jumps to around 60 and nearly the whole sweep of the treadle is spent from 60-100, mostly in 80-100. I tried the SA Dual expression pedal (50k ohms) but it doesn't work at all with the Pitchfactor. I've also tried the EB VP Jr. 25k but that doesn't work at all with the BEF. Frustrating.

I saw on the Mission site that they now have a dual 25k ohm expression pedal designed just for Eventide boxes - I assume I'll get the same bad result with the BEF as when I tried it with the VP Jr. 25k, but is there any reason why it might work that I'm missing?

I'd really prefer not to have two different expression pedals, so maybe someone here can provide some insight. Thanks.

2. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    I am looking into this.

3. rsmith601

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    Just looking at Eventide’s requirements… they want a linear pot with a mono plug connection, value between 5k and 25k.

The SA Dual Exp is 50k with a stereo plug connection.

When we first studied this issue, we thought that Boss (Roland) and Moog were taking the most broadly adopted approach, so we have followed them when it comes to linear pots, pot value, and TRS connection. I am not sure why Line 6 and Eventide went into separate directions, but it may have been with the hope to be compatible with volume pedals?

In any event, we are developing a new expression pedal which will help to address this issue. (4- 6 months out)

4. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

Thanks very much for getting back to me, good info.

I'm going to keep playing around with them - hadn't considered the mono/stereo factor.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

Rsmith, would using one of those mission line6 converter cables help the SA expression work with the eventide?

7. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

Also, there an optimal ohm value range that SA products operate in?

8. rsmith601

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    I can’t tell what that Mission cable does just from the description. It might be powered since it says it works specifically with the expressionator. Not sure though.
    For our pedals, anything from 10k to 50k should work pretty well.

9. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Pitchfactor works with TRS - it accepts both TRS and TS connections.

Mission cable is for Line 6 products that only use TS connections.

10. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

From Mission email support:

"Yes, the EP-25K is a passive TRS expression pedal as specified by Source Audio. Make sure to use a TRS cable to connect the EP25K to the BEF."

I'm going to give it a try and I'll report back.

11. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

Got the pedal today and it works perfectly with my H9 and BEF Pro (my Manta should be here on Tuesday, I'll have to wait until I get a Hub to try it with the EP-25K though.)

Very happy and highly recommended.