Before cell phones.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FreakyStyley69, Dec 3, 2012.

1. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69 Banned

I almost made a new screen name to post this as I knew I was going to get the old guys flamin about this generating and day deir Facebook. Then I realized I have no reputation to lose.

I got my first cell phone when I was 18 that was around 2006 since started my career at 20 I have always had an iphone. Bosses come to me to for all sorts of information from random to work related. Seems knowing how to search is a skill?

Anyways sometimes at work there is downtime. Lots of it. I honestly, It got me thinking. What would I do without my phone. Like literally.if you were at work with absolutely nothing to do. What do you do? It is now the norm for people to reach for their phone play a game text someone etc.

I don't know what I would do. I am always learning looking up random stuff. Just constantly learning. People are surprised at my expertise on so much that I wouldn't have if it weren't for my phone and the Internet.

So anyways.. Really what did people do to pass time when there was nothing to do AT WORK.
  2. steamthief

steamthief

Found some work to do.
  3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Do mean goofing off or being productive?
  4. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69 Banned

This literally isn't an option sometimes!

I guess I'm the only one who may be in a position say 100 foot up in the air, tied off to a beam can't go anywhere nothing else I could possibly be doing.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69 Banned

I could tell! I still run into an old timer every now and then..oh so little they know
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Interesting timing for this thread. Today is the 20 year anniversary of the first text message sent and received.

-Mike
  8. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

Hold that close.

It may be be all you own.
  9. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69 Banned

Lol someone mentioned Facebook my foreman asked what's that. We asked if he had an email address he said I don't know. They asked who his Internet provider was he said blue ray.

LOOOL
  10. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

11. phatbass

phatbass

Read a book...
  12. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

This. It is still my preferred method to kill time as well. You learn much more from a book than you do just mindlessly googleing stuff.

lowsound
  13. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69 Banned

Like....... 50 shades of grey?
  14. Sonic_Death

Sonic_Death

I always try to carry a book on me, especially if I knew I may have some time to waste.

I also like doing crosswords/puzzles - sudoku books are something fun to have around.

Then again, I suppose you can do all that from your phone nowadays too, so it depends how you use the things at your disposable, eh?
  15. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

No, real literature, not that vile crap!

lowsound
  16. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69 Banned

Just messing. Don't be so matter of fact
  17. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

I guess smoke break and water cooler conversation have been relegated to history.
  18. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69 Banned

Yeah.. Ihave t been reading nearly enough lately(books that is) I can't quite carry a whole book on me. I tried e books and audiobooks. It's just not the same as good old paper. I used to read books alot.
  19. ADbassman

ADbassman

I work in an area where we can't bring in cell phones. What do I do when things are dull? I play around on the internet. A lot of times I'm looking up work related stuff or studying school stuff.
  20. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

This. Seriously. I'm not knocking you. But we used to FIND work to do when we ran out of stuff to do. If I were paying you and found out you were on a personal quest for knowledge on my dime I would be pissed. A couple of decades ago things were really different. Work ethic was much stronger in more people. I worked the sales floor at a music store. If I had "nothing to do" I would inventory strings, clean up, make some phone calls to touch base with old customers, etc. Anyone who leaned against the counter and waited for customers soon found themselves unemployed.

Again, I don't know your situation. You may have been told to stay where you are and don't move when you catch up. But I would imagine there really is something you could do.

That being said, I love Googling junk on my phone these days.
  21. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69 Banned

Yeah read my post and you'd see. Oh no anybody in sales has no excuse. I guess its just my situation