Before i pull the trigger...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by andrklet, Feb 1, 2014.

1. andrklet

andrklet Guest

...and while i wait for the Norwegian Importer to get their next load of cabs.

If sound was the only factor in my quest, It would have been an all tube 8x10 SVT rig. But that is not going to happen. I´m pretty much set on a PF350 with a SVT210AV, with a second cab to come later. Web-searching has me convinced it right for me, although I´m not going to be able to try before buying. I want punchy mids, I´m not to concerned about missing out on the super lows. I do want the flexibility and portability of a light head, with two light cabs to mix and mach from anything between headphones and more volume than I will probably ever need. (Lets face it, I´m never ever going to play big gigs.) What else should i really consider? Within, roughly, the same price range.

2. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Orange terror bass and sp212 cab/s
    Had the ampig 8x10 and the svt head,the Orange set up does the job.

3. andrklet

andrklet Guest

I early on, perhaps too early, ruled out Orange. Due to the "one trick pony" and "love/hate"comments. I´m not able to try that rig either. So I feel its a bit risky. I´ve tried Orange for guitar and love it. In fact our guitarist just ordered a TH30 head and 2x12 open cab. But for bass, I´m skeptical. I need a rig which can give me a really clean sound, when required. The Terror does not have a clean channel, but can it do clean?

4. nick98338

nick98338

I can't comment on your cab choice, but I can say that I'm quite happy with the PF-350. That amp, and one cab, have been plenty for my needs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like a pretty solid choice. You already know it is a medium duty cab and suits your tone needs. Wide support network. Just load the bullets before you pull the trigger.

7. andrklet

andrklet Guest

Thanks, b-string. I think my choise is right. But while I wait, I might as well review my options. Waiting is a serious drag!

8. pfox14

pfox14

Sounds like you don't have a lot of choices living in Norway, but I would try my best to test out as many different amps as you can. Don't get me wrong, I love Ampeg and you've already made a good solid choice, but see if you can try out others as well.

9. andrklet

andrklet Guest

Ive had a Peavey TKO65 for years, which recently caved. Ive tried several combos, which is pretty much what is available in shops here. Ampeg, GK, Markabass, Fender and such. So my references are not the best. Listening to others playing various Ampeg rigs, is probably my best clue. Recently a couple of buddys and me have starter rehearsing regularly and weer trying to put together a studio, and I want to learn to play properly, more than just jamming along with roots. About time at 42 years ;) Im enjoying very much and look forward to finding my sound!

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Been using a PF350 or Micro VR and one or two 210av's for a good while now, close to 3 years. It's exactly what you're looking for.

11. andrklet

andrklet Guest

Yes, JimmyM. You and a couple of others have pointed me in that direction. I quite soon got my eyes up for the Ampeg stacs. I was pretty sett on one of the fliptops. But the size and weight of the 210av intrigues me, as I cant leave stuff in our studio. And I´pretty sure it will give me plenty of volume for my needs. If not, i´ll get a second cab.

12. andrklet

andrklet Guest

Kapow! ETA in about 2 weeks. 2 agonizing weeks!

13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

For someone aspiring to an 8x10, I don't know how much Kapow!™ you're going to feel. Jimmy likes to call them medium duty. Should be plenty for practice studio but you'll probably want the 2nd one at gigs.

14. andrklet

andrklet Guest

I don't aspire to a 810 in terms of volume. Or size! But I do want that sound. For my use Ive been doing ok with a 100w 15" combo. So I'm not worried. But I'm pretty shure a second cab will find its way to my house anyway ;)

Unless I get into cab building. A 2x12 with Beta 12a-2 drivers is quite far into planning...

15. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Those 210 AVs are supposed to sound very similar to the 810s in a smaller package. If I was ever looking for a smaller rig those would be the first for me to check out.

16. andrklet

andrklet Guest

And I'm at least a year or even two away from a level I would concider gigworthy :) I'm 42 and old dawgs learn slow ;)