1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Before you buy a bass, talk to a pretty girl

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Dec 22, 2012.

1. pklima

pklima

Thought about posting this in bass humor, but I'm 100% serious about it.

Before you buy another bass, ask an attractive girl who dresses well, doesn't know or care much about basses, and isn't so close to you that she'd care how much money you spend or have to spend. Tell her you have a fashion-related question, show her some pictures of the bass you're thinking about, and she'll tell you how the bass really looks and how you'll look with it.

I've done that a couple of times. Got talked into buying one bass and out of another. The one I got talked into was good, but the one I got talked out of was much more interesting. She told me that it looks good, but not for me. Loosely translating what she told me in Polish, it would be great for my singers (who don't play bass, but that's an unimportant detail). Apparently I need to be emphasized and not decorated. The bass should form a coherent whole with what I'm wearing and my personality, and that's much more important than how nice the bass looks as a bass.

Now there's some advice you'd never get if you asked another bassist whether a blue flower Precision is worth buying.
  2. Salamenster

Salamenster

Why would I give a single !@%$ about how my bass looks to some pretty girl? Isn't the one you're asking just one in a million? Maybe some other pretty girl might say the exact opposite. Taste is relative.

Buy a bass YOU like, that YOU think suits YOU. Letting other people make your decisions, merely based on appearance is just stupid.
  3. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    I'd guess if you ask which bass you should buy to a pretty girl her first answer would be something like "why don't you play guitar like everybody?"
  4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Well, if your basses are simply fashion accessories to you... you may be onto something.
  5. wilder

wilder Supporting Member

If you're proposing this as an additional excuse to interact with a pretty girl then I can support the concept.
  6. pica

pica

7. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

Then you'll be playing pink Danelectros with the lipstick pickups for the rest of your life.
  8. 4dog

4dog

Where can i find one of these??
  9. Countertenor

Countertenor

No pics no girl. :D
  10. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

I understand the thinking on this. Music is show business whether we like it or not. How you look does make a difference.
  11. Lightningbird

Lightningbird

Wow, talk about guys being butthurt. Asking a fashion oriented girl about the looks of a bass isn't a bad idea. People with "style" can be much better at judging how colours match together than someone who doesn't really get involved in fashion and general design.

Mind you, asking a girl with no musical experience whether to buy a P or Jazz is a more or less ridiculous idea, but when it comes to stuff like finish, pickguard, hardware colour, etc, some people are better at judging what looks good or not (from the general view of society).

People with style would also take the general look of the guy into consideration, which she did. I guess some guys on here just think of girls with a sense of fashion as bleach blonde, pink wearing bimbos that love pink "girly" basses. Looks and image is a big part of performing and looking good with a nice fitting bass can make the appearance of a band much better. Isn't there already a couple of threads complaining over bands that don't plan together on what to wear on gigs?
  12. Itzayana

Itzayana

If you asked a smart girl she would say, "Buy the one you like the best!"
  13. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

I will confess: when I had the top for my custom narrowed down to two tops, I asked my girlfriend to be the tiebreaker.
  14. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

Ohh! Ask HER what the best bass for metal is! Maybe she can put that question to rest once and for all!
  15. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

My Fiance is smoking hot, but thinks my Rickenbacker is ugly. Her opinion on basses is now null and void lol.
  16. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Bada-bing! :hyper:
  17. brad houser

brad houser

Bill Evans famously said that he valued the musical opinions of non-musicians as much as that of musicians.
  18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I talked to the pretty girl.
    She said enough with that crap, why don't you play me instead?
    So I slapped her.
  19. hgiles

hgiles

It is a way to do it I suppose.
  20. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

I think the following priorities are most important in choosing a bass:

1) how it feels, comfort, ease in playability.

2) how it sounds

3) how it looks

I chose my very first bass by how it looked and only kept it for a couple of months. Come to think of it, did the same with significant other! :oops: