1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Beginner bass opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DRNUMBERS, Nov 1, 2013.

1. DRNUMBERS

DRNUMBERS

Hi guys,

I'm not a bassist, but I've been inspired to pick up Rocksmith 2014 to play around with the bass and see if it bites me. I was hoping to get your opinions on my potential bass choices. These are all from Rondo because I like their return policy, and I'm looking to spend $200 or less. I can't use the fifth string on a 5 string in RS but it might be nice to have for future use, so I'm considering 5s as well as 4s.

SX Andromeda MN 3TS:
    http://www.rondomusic.com/andromedia3ts.html

Douglas NB-C2 TSB:
    http://www.rondomusic.com/nbc2tsb.html

Hadean EB-6105 TR:
    http://www.rondomusic.com/eb6105trgr.html

Hadean EB-9705:
    http://www.rondomusic.com/eb9705nm.html

How do you guys feel about these for my purposes? Please suggest any alternative you feel may be better as well.

Thanks,
    Numbers
  2. frankieC

frankieC Supporting Member

I have an SX bass. I bought it to keep with me and not have to worry about it too much. To my surprise, it actually plays well, sounds great, and the fit and finish is pretty good.
    The body on mine is American Swamp Ash, with a Maple neck and fretboard.
    The wood the bass is made from was worth the price of the finished bass.

As a beginner and as a student, I see nothing wrong with any of the bases you've selected. You don't have to be a bass snob to learn, and those bass are $100+ less costly than a Squier bass, and just as playable. Perhaps the same, or better quality, too.

Just because it's made in China, doesn't mean it's poorly made. The Chinese built the product to meet a specification. IN the case of SX, the spec is pretty decent. You can improve these bases, too. By upgrading the strings, the pups.

Further, if your just learning, why not learn on a 5 string from the start?

Good luck.
  3. dabbler

dabbler

I vote Andromeda (btw, mine arrives Monday). I have no experience with the Hadean basses, but given that Rondo tends to price their instruments according to quality, I would expect the Douglas to be a higher tier brand. The only caveat, for the ones you chose, is that a neck through is typically at the high end of a line, so that neck-thru Hadean is probably pretty good too. But a neck-thru can't be shimmed, which is important not only out of the box, but sometimes as the neck takes a "set". Also, that single coil J style pup in the Andromeda will give you way more tonal range, unless you split the HBs in the other basses.

I have a lot of SX basses, most are Js, my main players are SX Js. All were good, and more than worth their cost. At the "sale" price for the 3tsb Andromeda with the single piece body and the upgraded tuners and bridge, you would be hard-pressed to find a better value bass. Do a series-parallel mod on it and it will give you all the versatility you need.
  4. DRNUMBERS

DRNUMBERS

Thanks for the help guys. I'm thinking about the Andromeda at the moment.
  5. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I looks like it's currently on sale for $170. If you're gonna get it, get it fast.
  6. dabbler

dabbler