Beginner Bass under $250

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plooboo, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Plooboo

Plooboo

I'm going to learn to play bass but I'd like to get a good Bass that i could play for a while and because I live in Australia and the shipping from anywhere like amazon is horrible... so yeah, stuff at full price or massive cheap shipping. Pretty much anything said will be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

2. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

I know over here at least you can find used squiers on CL all day for 100-200$ usd and though they are fenders low end brand, look it up, people love their squiers and say great things about them. I started on an affinity series P-bass myself and it definately suited my needs for quite awhile, though the action was pretty high at first. I'd keep an eye open.

3. Plooboo

Plooboo

Apparently Australia hates CL I typed in just bass in sydney and only 2 things came up

4. Plooboo

Plooboo

But on Trading post I found a soundgear ibanez for $300, worth it or good for beginners?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rob72

rob72

Mate, give Gumtree a go.

7. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Yamaha, Peavey, ESP/LTD, Ibanez, and Squire all make decent basses for under 250$. As for the Soundgear (Ibanez) bass...I don't know what the new price vs used price is in Australia, but if it's in good shape, it should work ok for you.

Yamaha's RBX 170 goes for under 180$ here, and so do the Peavey Milestone. Both are decent. In fact, I've got a Peavey Milestone P pickup version that absolutely rocks...though I bought it used, and I don't think that it has stock pickups. It is still my main bass, though I have 2 other basses...both are also Peavey.

8. Arranger

Arranger

9. treekiller

treekiller

+1 on Squier, but if you can scrape together a little more I'd hold out for an MIM Fender.

10. klejst

klejst

I too would say find yourself a nice Squier and better yet a used one because it will be cheaper. If possible actually go to a Music Store and try some out to find out what you like. And if you are buying it off a Craigslist or another site make you you go and check it out if that is possible. I myself started out years ago on a used Squier P-bass I bought for $75 USD. Squier basses really are great for beginners and are they are really putting out some impressive guitars these days. Just my two cents.

11. twistedbydesign

twistedbydesign

+1 for Squier.
    I started on an Ibanez GSR 200. They are also very good for the price.

12. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Please take a look at Peavey Foundation, SX Ursa from rondomusic.com or anything from Yamaha.

The Foundation is a particularly good choice if it has Super Ferrite pickups.

13. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

I concur with the above, Squier is a great bass for the money.

14. mouthmw

mouthmw

Or better yet, scrape a little more (but less than for a MIM Fender), and get a used Squier CV. Or a new one, they're worth it and they smoke MIM Fenders anyways. And cost less.

15. Plooboo

Plooboo

I checked out gumtree and it did have some decent stuff, Ill also check our local 2nd hand store. I'll probably end up with an ibanez or fender