1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Beginner Bassist, Fender Rumble 150

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by HazyPlotJonny, Nov 21, 2012.

1. HazyPlotJonny

HazyPlotJonny

Hi everyone,

I'll start off by saying that I'm new to both this forum and to playing bass. I'll let you know that I'm simply a teenager who's been playing for maybe 2 months now. My dad's a guitarist, so I've been using his old Boss guitar amp for practice at low volume. I am now in the market for a bass amp. Since I am not of legal age to work, and therefore am low on cash, I'm looking for something cheap, but something that I may eventually be able to gig with. I know a guitarist and drummer and we have plans of starting a little band, however I'm not sure that my dad's tiny guitar practice amp will be loud enough for an actual band practice. There's also the fact that my father says that the cheap little guitar amp can't handle the bass frequencies or something, so I've never turned it up past 4 in fear of damaging his guitar amp. So, I've looked at my options, and I thought that the Fender Rumble 150 looked like a decent amp for its price. My question is, what do you guys think of this amp? My dad says that Fender used to be one of the best, is that still true today? I know absolutely nothing about bass amps, but I think that 150 watts should be good enough. However, my real question is whether it'll be loud enough for gigs, like birthday parties, talent shows, local festivals, things like that. I know that I'm getting way ahead of myself thinking about gigs and all after playing a bit over 2 months, but since I don't have alot of cash, I'd like to spend my money on something I can really use in the future, rather than buy a $100 practice amp that I'll never be able to use live. Do you guys like this amp? Do you have any other suggestions in the $325 price range? The max that I can spend is $350. Thanks for your help!
  2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Welcome grasshoppa .. to both worlds ... the low end and TB ...

Your pop is very right about using his amp ... probably more than a few of us have blown things like that up when we were your age...

... for 300-350, you can get a pretty decent set up ... although, you could probably get something used like an old Peavey for about half of that and it would meet all your needs at this point and into the future to the point that you can discern what it is that you like and dont like ...

... you will get those on here that recommend the newer Acoustic gear to you, and it seems that several have gone that way and are happy .. FWIW, Fender amps have not done a whole lot for me since the 60's, and that was probably because there wasn't a whole lot else around, and I had more than a few of them, although none of the current stuff ... but that is just my opinion, and you will get more than a few differeing opinions, I am sure in reply ...

... bottom line ... take your time and digest all the views and opinions you are going to get, and try not to get too hung up on buying the 'ultimate' $350 set up at this point, find something that meets your needs and will be fairly easy to get your money back out of a year or two down the road, should you decide to move into something else ... it wouldn't even hurt to have a little money left over for a few lessons or whatever else pops up ...

... generally, that means buy used ... not used junk, but carefully selected used that holds its value and has proven itself over time ... I will let you pick from the barrage of brand advice you are going to get, just remember you dont know what you want/or even like at this point, so just relax and enjoy the educational journey ...but try not to get consumed with finding/buying gear and neglect what really matters, time with the bass in your mitts, developing your knowledge and skills on it ... good luck!

Edit to add: ... BTW, it never hurts to fill in your profile so that people know where you are in case they want to try to help you in some way .. there are a lot of pretty gracious folk on here, that like help'n the younguns ... we can even keep an eye out for you on your local Craigslists and such for some good buys ... but, being a minor, dont be too specific .. general areas and info are just fine ... and if your pop has been around music scene, maybe he knows a bass player or two with some older gear just sitting around that you could maybe even use for a while to help you on your way ... just a thought
  3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Used Peavey are everywhere. Cheap, decent sound and hard to kill.

350W Rumble seems to be borderline not quite loud enough for rock with loud drums and guitars, only because a lot of geetarists are idiots. I've played the 2x10 one a few times and it seems quite loud enough to keep up with drums.

I have some permanent ringing in my ears from playing without earplugs for a couple of years with drums and a 50W Marshall. Wear earplugs.
  4. rtslinger

rtslinger

Welcome I have a Fender Rumble 100 that I used with my Classic Rock tribute act 2 guitars keys drums and bass no problem hearing myself in the mix for clubs 100-150 people.
    Larger than that I would go 300 watts or more for more what's called headroom. But to start out 150 Rumble I think is a good choice affordable and the sound of these amps are really nice in my opinion. RTS 40+ years rocking the bottom end.
  5. Alex1984

Alex1984

I'd take up an old Traynor/Yorkville. Seriously underrated rigs, that means you can find them for cheap. If you can save up a bit more, Ampeg's PF line is good too, especially if you can find them used.
  6. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Check out the low end Oranges (Crush) & Ampegs (BA) - much better than Rumbles, IMO.
  7. rockscott

rockscott

I have a fender 150 head with the 410 cab. Its plenty loud and i dig the tone of this amp. Not much love for the rumbles here on tb, but you buy/play what you like. I think the rumble is a lot of amp for short money!
  8. niki z

niki z Supporting Member

Search Craigslist or GuitarCenter.com There's so much great used gear out there, you just half to search a bit. For $350 you could find a great rig. Also when you buy used you have a better chance to resell it for close to the same price you bought it for. A buddy of mine had the same budget and I helped him look around...we found a Kustom 100W head and 2X15 cab for $250. The most important thing is to have fun! :bassist:
  9. warnergt

warnergt

I have a Fender Rumble 100 and really like it. I bought it after
    playing a Rumble 60 that sounded great to me. Right now, my
    boy's band uses the Rumble 100 for jamming. I can tell you
    that it is plenty loud all through the house (and through part of
    the neighborhood -- they play in the garage).

I think a Fender Rumble 150 would be a great amp for you.
    You won't outgrow it for a long time and, if and when that
    happens, you'll probably continue to have uses for it.

BTW, don't put much weight on that "never turned it up past 4"
    observation. From my experience, most amps are putting out
    most of their power before you get the dial turned half way up.
    I think it's a sales gimmick to make the amps seem super
    powerful in the stores.