Beginner Bassist, what kind of bass to get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ImJustDez, Dec 1, 2012.

1. ImJustDez

ImJustDez

I'm starting to learn how to play bass and with the money I get for Christmas I'm going to buy one. The thing is I don't know which bass to get xP
    I'm starting a band and it's going to be inspired by the bands Of Mice & Men, Asking Alexandria, Get Scared, etc.
    So what kind of bass should I get to be able to play music like that?
    It'd also be cool if someone told me a good amp that would go with it too.
    If I could I'd buy Sterling by Music Man but I can't cause that's really expensive and well I'm just starting out.
    Right now I'm thinking this:
    http://www.samash.com/p/Epiphone_Toby Standard IV Bass Guitar_1782904
    This:
    http://www.samash.com/p/Ibanez_GSR100 Bass Guitar_444004
    or this:
    http://www.samash.com/p/ESP_LTD B10 Bass Guitar with Gig Bag_-49947770
    but I'm not really sure xP :help:

2. jonnyatk

jonnyatk

they all look quite nice indeed, ive been looking for a new amp myself,
    and i was reading a good used/new debate...
    and if £200 or dollars is your ball park you may be able to get a nice little used bass, and a nice little 30 ish watt amp, 35 watt has been plenty enough for me practicing at home, especialy if your only starting out cause you might not like it in the future?

hope that adds to your search!

PS out of the three links you posted i quite like the Toby Standard IV

3. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

have you handled any of these?

I have a GSR200, and I've very happy with it. I bought an amp (Fender Bronco 40) but in all honesty it set idle for months because I couldn't hear fret buzz with it.

4. Mykk

Mykk

Of those options, (and having not played them) I like the pickup config of the epiphone toby.

If you like the MM styling and sound. Consider a SUB model for your first. Save up for a bit more and get a bass design you already like, that you won't out grow as fast.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...570.l1313&_nkw=sterling sub stingray&_sacat=0

Also, don't be afraid to purchase used. Most of the time you will get more bass for your money (because the majority of basses have little resale value, like a car) and you will have an instrument that is already set-up dialed in and won't need truss rod, string saddle, intonation or fret work like you would with an inexpensive new overseas bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    You know, there are hundreds of threads here just like this. Search some out.
    Now to help your question, if you do not know how to play and have never played, pick the one you like. It is more of a look thing. After you play a while, you will wander into stores and be able to noodle around on all sorts of different basses to get a better idea of what you like and don't like. You have many many options for the $200 range. Especially if you would consider used. Then that number goes up much higher

7. MisterFabulous

MisterFabulous

If you can borrow a bass or basses for a while, you would know better what kind of bass fits you. Basses come in different shapes and sizes and weights. Even basses of the same make and model vary a bit.

Just trying them out at a store may not give you enough time behind a bass to pick out what you like or don't like.

All to say, don't sweat the first bass purchase because, if you like what you hear, it won't be your last bass purchase.

8. fraublugher

fraublugher

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
  10. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

I'm going to advocate for SX here...they're very nice quality, inexpensive starter instruments, and there are a lot of different options. I like the new Squiers, but my VM Jazz has been giving trouble lately and my SX feels more solid.

Here you go: www.rondomusic.com

Good luck and happy hunting!

11. hgiles

hgiles

I went with Ibanez for my first bass purchase...and I liked it so much I bought a second...Ibanez!

12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

+1. SX is cheap as dirt and just as good quality as any other starter bass. Best bass on the planet? No - but you'll learn just fine on one, and save money to invest in something higher-end when you have a clearer idea what you want.

btw PG, did i ever tell you how much I appreciate your sig line? That lyric helped me survive high school.

13. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Another +1 for SX. Excellent value. My main gigging bass is a modded SX Jazz. I can honestly say it is my favorite bass of the many I have owned.

14. MyMusic

MyMusic

+1 for the Ibanez GSR200. I've kept mine even after upgrading. But the key thing is to find a good luthier and have it set up properly and put some good strings on it. This can make an inexpensive bass play wonderfully. Hope you have much success with whatever you decide on.

15. BassPlayer95

BassPlayer95

First off I LOVE OM&M and their old bassist used a jazz bass. To me there's nothing better than a down tuned jazz bass. I'd check out Squier if I were you.

Stay heavy!!! \m/

16. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

You haven't, but thanks. That and a lot of Rush lyrics helped me find myself and my own value.

Back on topic...the OP should definitely check out the new SUB Ray basses!

17. Dagumol

Dagumol

Go to Guitar Center and play every single one they have. Go to another guitar store and play all they have that GC didn't. Play them all again. When you play the one that has the feel and sound you like, you will know it. Just my personal opinion though...steer away from any bass that's made from basswood. It's cheap and sounds like strings on cardboard. I've owned a few guitars and basses of basswood and was not once happy with the crappy tone (or lack of).

18. deltax

deltax

I'd recommend looking into the Yamaha RBX series. I had a RBX170 and it was a solid, especially for the price(I think I got it for $160 a while back), it was also a P and J setup for a little more diversity. I don't know much about the other RBX offerings, however if they are anything like the 170 then I'm sure they will be great as well.

19. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I'd look for any Used Aria Pro 2. They seem to be going for great low prices. If you see one(Or any other Bass) on Ebay for example. Post the link here and we'll review it for you. I know the Bay has a few great deals on Aria Pro's right now. Just make sure you look at the older Japan models.

20. ImJustDez

ImJustDez

21. pocketgroove

pocketgroove