Beginner Fretless bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LeoSash, Nov 9, 2012.

1. LeoSash

LeoSash

I've been very dissatisfied with my 6 string sound for a while now, and i've been thinking, maybe get a cheap beginner fretless to test the waters (i have tried a fender fretless and it sounds great!) I was thinking something from rondo music like the SX ura or douglas basses, but i just wanna know if theres any other things i should look into as far as either these basses or if theres another good beginner fretless i could get, maybe i can look into that.
  2. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

I don't know about the Rondo music offerings other than the higher end models seem well received. I did just buy a somewhat beat up looking Fender fretless Jazz from the TB classifieds for $225 shipped. It plays and sounds great! I'd spend a few weeks seeing what pops up on TB in my price range before I would buy a super cheap bass from anyone.

Ken
  3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    You need a Rickenbacker 4001 FL.. Jetglow. It will make your life wonderful in all the right places "_"
  4. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Squier VM Fretless, the one with the Ebonol board.
  5. cvsurg

cvsurg Supporting Member

+1 on the Squier VM Fretless; got one last year off evilBay for $180 and in good shape. GC gets them in used fairly frequently, as well. Good bass for the buck if you want to get into fretless, por mwah.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

-1 on the Squier VM fretless, I got one for a cheap fretless and I regret it. They aren't very good. The fretboard lines are not properly leveled at the factory so in order to make it playable you have to take a radius block and sand the neck down. I have seen this issue on all 10 or so I have played personally. They also are too high at the nut to get a good setup. The pickups weren't my thing either and they do need to be shielded but that was the smallest of the issues

I personally recommend you look elsewhere unless you are comfortable doing work on it yourself.
  7. LeoSash

LeoSash

Yea the squier doesn't seem too good to me anyways. I was just wondering if anyone actually tried these knock off basses from rondo. I've heard good things, so i was thinking about it. However i should check TB classifieds too.
  8. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

I wouldn't use the rondo fretless basses, fretted - sure.

My favorite "low cost" fretless bass I'm using now is my Ibanez GWB35 that I got for a reduced price.
  9. George Mann

George Mann

As for the current Rondo-sourced offerings, they are unlined necks, and therefore not suitable for beginners IMO.

Otherwise, they are great.
  10. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Big +1. He can then keep it as an intermediate player. And advanced for that matter.
  11. miles'tone

miles'tone

Vintage V96 Icon fretless all the way. It's 'reliced' to look like Jaco's bass. Same price as the Squier, beats it for quality in every area imo. Tried both, bought the Vintage. Comes with a rosewood board too. It's great fun to play!
  12. svt1233

svt1233

do not get the squier, it is so bad. I'd rather get a stagg 300fl before that thing again
  13. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

+1 that the Squier is rubbish.

+1 that the Vintage VJ96 is excellent.

And also be aware that Ibanez have just done a limited fretless run of the SR300 (SR300F) which is also a great bass if you can find one.
  14. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

I found a used Ibanez SR 400FL for less than $200 and I like it. Granted, I haven't played a lot of fretless basses, but it's not the first one, either. It's not lined- it has dots on the edge.
  15. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr. Supporting Member

16. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I'm surprised there's so much hate for the Squier. I don't own one but have played a few. Seemed ok to me. I'm thinking about picking up the unlined maple jazz from rondo myself. It's my understanding that fretless maple is similar in tone to ebony, and oh how I love ebony fingerboards.
  17. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

My favorite entry level fretless is the Cort B4FL. Wenge neck (very Warwick like and very fast), budget Barts, loads of mwah, plays and feels like a much more expensive instrument.

/rick
  18. MD

MD

Respectfully, I have to disagree.
  19. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

Unlined necks are not suitable for beginners? How has anyone learned to play double bass, violin, cello, viola, etc?
  20. GlassOnion

GlassOnion 1.21 Gigawatts Gold Supporting Member

Maybe my opinion sucks but here it is...

So, in the past when I have made the sacrifice getting something less of value, I ended up frustrated with the quality and eventually got rid of it, usually sooner than later. I understand that money might be tight as it is for myself, but hold out for the right instrument. The one you connect with and feels right in your own hands. The one that has the tone you are looking for in your head. More expensive doesn't translate to better necessarily but don't be hasty in your decision you might regret it. Saving a little more coin for the right instrument might save you a lot of headache and regret in the end.