Beginner photographer looking for a good first camera?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rstellar13, Feb 25, 2014.

1. rstellar13

rstellar13 Sarcastic Panda

Hey all,
    I am looking to buy my first camera soon and looking around 600 MAXIMUM budget. I was looking into intro DSLRs like D3200 from Canon but also something like this:
    http://cardinalcamera.com/spec_sheet.html?catalog[product_guids][0]=b8910fb0-e629-012f-87d5-20cf30bab63e

I know you guys will help out so ill be hope to hear back from you!
    Thanks!
  2. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

the link didn't work
    nikon d3200 is excellent. you can make large prints from the files.
    most all kit lenses are good too these days.
    i wouldn't get something without looking through it. like bass--you can shop & research all you want but you have to test it once you boiled it down to two or three choices. i'm not kidding when i say all of the stuff coming out these days is good & automated so if you want manual options make sure it has that. most do so whatever.
  3. matante

matante

What kind of photography are you interested in? If you tell us what you want to take pictures of, where, why, etc... that will be a big help.

Are you looking to shoot pictures of your kids, architecture, landscapes, sporting events...

Also, the lenses are more important than the camera, so don't cheap out on the lens. Give us more details on what you want to photograph and you will get better advice.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Works if you copy the whole thing and paste it into your address bar. The TB board software doesn't like the brackets and splits the URL.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

That sounds like a whole lot of work right there.
  7. rstellar13

rstellar13 Sarcastic Panda

Hey so I do a lot of camping hiking so its more landscapes and standing stuff not a lot of movement, a lot of outside, why? for the enjoyment of doing it and to share experiences that i have had with others.
  8. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    Slacker. Here's yer oyster. ;)
  9. matante

matante

OK, for landscapes you don't need an SLR type camera and you don't need fast lenses. Look at a Sony a5000 or similar. Fujifilm and Olympus make similar cameras worth considering. It will be more portable than a DSLR so you'll be more likely to take it with you.

If you're serious about getting good landscape photos you absolutely have to use a tripod, otherwise your pix won't look much better than cell phone pix, regardless of what you buy. Tripods can be light and small and very portable so don't worry about the weight or space it will take up.

Use whatever kit lens comes with your camera and after a while you'll develop certain preferences which will lead you to buy another lens. That's normal and there's no use in asking advice about other lenses until you start shooting and develop your own preferences.
  10. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

It ain't the camera, it's the photographer.
  11. matante

matante

Yes, but he still needs to buy a camera. I wish I'd have received some advice when I bought my first 'real' camera. It would have saved me from buying the wrong lens for what I wanted to do.
  12. ASATMAN

Then a Panasonic point n shoot with Leica lens should fit the bill.
  13. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    I've been very happy with that option, but my main thing is casual wildlife photography around my neighborhood, where strong optical zoom is maybe the most important feature.

Just tagging along to see what's out there these days.
  14. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

D3200 is a good place to start. Once you want to buy more lenses, check out Craigslist, lots of people off loading their old film SLRs for super cheap. I have seen plenty of film kits with nice prime lenses go for a small fraction of what the lens is worth, just because it is old. With Nikon, all their old lenses will work with auto-focus, well most, as they added the auto focus to the body. Canon won't, as they added the auto focus to the lens. Keep that in mind. Although, if you are shooting landscapes manual works well.

lowsound
  15. ASATMAN

Took these with x 12 zoom.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. ZenG

ZenG

I'd go DSLR......like a Canon Rebel series for starters

Older Canon Lenses will fit these too. Lenses that were used on the EOS series "film" body.

You can get a Canon DSLR body with lens included for 600 bucks or lower.

Stay away from cameras that have a skimpy little flash right beside the lens port. Go for a body that at LEAST has pop-up flash AND flash shoe on top so you can use a better accessory flash later. (like a Speed flash...on an extended arm. The farther you can get that flash away from the camera usually the better off you are)

Even for landscapes , flowers and outdoor objects there are many times when use of a flash goes a long way.

Optical zoom...........Good....up to a point if handheld........but long range needs a tripod.

Digital Zoom.......sucks for the most part IMO at long distances.......when you go telephoto you can only go so far before the slightest handshaking will mess up you picture. So don't get snookered by the "32X Digital Zoom!" they advertise. And you sacrifice pixels on a long digital zoom shot.

For real long telephotos you need a tripod and the camera should have a remote trigger.
  17. matante

matante

I forgot to add another option:

Consider buying an old film SLR. You can get a decent one for about $25 these days. You'll have plenty of money left over for a zoom lens, film, and processing. If you choose to go digital later you can use the same lens. If you decide photography isn't for you, you didn't spend much.
  18. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    Cool, what model camera?
  19. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

+1 on the Canon Rebel series; you can find used previous-generation ones (T2i, T3i) for around $500.
  20. m0nst3r

m0nst3r

I have a Nikon D3100 and it's pretty good for starting out. I got it used from Craigslist with the 18-55mm kit lens, a case, and a battery grip for $220 a few months ago. It had a little more than 10,000 actuations on it, which is fairly low. There's TONS to learn, so it's going to be a while before I outgrow it. I've seen a few D5100s with 18-55mm AND 55-200mm lenses for ~$500, so if you find one and it doesn't have a ton of shutter actuations, grab it!
  21. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have an old Nikon D90 and a D5200. But I recently got a Nikon P520. It's not a DSLR, but it has a 42X (24mm - 1,000 mm) optical lens that reaches out a long way. Here are two pictures I took of a mountain peak over a mile away from the same position. At that distance, there's a lot of atmospheric distortion, but you can still see you're looking at a girl.

Here's the picture of the peak over a mile away.

[​IMG]

Now zoomed in from the same location.

[​IMG]

Now a crop from the zoomed picture.

[​IMG]

This camera is 18+ megapixels. It's not particularly great for action pictures, though, because there is some shutter delay. But for scenic, it's fantastic.