1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Beginner player needs some advice

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by RayWestfield, Apr 4, 2013.

1. RayWestfield

RayWestfield

I'm a beginner bass player, and my band and I are going for the battle of the bands competition in my home town. I am very confident in my own, and my mates', abilities. I just need some advice as to what to do, or more importantly, what not to do.
  2. Lo-E

Lo-E

Bring spares of everything and anything that can break or fail.
    Bring a written set list.
    Act professionally.
    Most importantly - Have Fun!!!
  3. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

You say you are a beginner. So, come early, yes to extension chords, etc. Smile and have fun. Enjoy the experience.
  4. phmike

phmike

Load your equipment in your car/van/etc. Drive to a friend's house, set up and play your full competition set as if you were at the real event. No cheating. How did the test run go? Did'ja make notes about the stuff you wished you had brought or done, etc?
    Have fun.
  5. PlaysAJunker

PlaysAJunker

Keep people off the booze before the gig. One crap-faced link makes the entire chain suffer.

I would say keep 'em off the dope but the guys who smoke all the time are usually better after smoking up, so play that by ear.