1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

beginner question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by enej_anrai, Dec 14, 2013.

1. enej_anrai

enej_anrai

Hi, i have a bit of a beginner question (i've only ever dealt with combos before).

Let's say i have a 200w head and the output is at 4 ohms. I want to play through a 1x15 cab rated 300w at 8 ohms, is that possible?

In other words, is a 200w 4 ohm head compatible with a 300w 8 ohm speaker?

thank you for your time.
  2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The caveat is this is fine with a most all SS amps. Not with most all tube amps.
  4. enej_anrai

enej_anrai

thank you a lot. i've been doing a lot of wikipedia reading but most things are still unclear to me. i'll read that FAQ asap.
  5. enej_anrai

enej_anrai

yeah, i understand that. it's a solid state so it's not at risk.
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The hardest to grasp is the "ohms". That is how the amp's output gets "loaded". Usually bigger numbers means more, it does mean that here but it means the more it "impedes" current flow. The more impedance the less load an amplifier will see. The "minimum" load on an amp means it was not made to operate a "heavier" load so that is the minimum number in ohms you should plug in. A higher number is fine. A direct short is 0 ohms and will catch fire or shut down an amp, it does not impede current flow. (Again true for most all SS amps, as many people read these posts ;).)
  7. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

You should also know that, if your amp is rated at 200W into 4Ω, you will get about 120W into 8Ω.
  8. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

OP,
    200w into 4 ohms is very useful and will do well for you.
    Most of the noise is made within the first 100 watts.
    To sound "twice as loud" (+10db) you need 2,000 watts and/or sufficient speakers to handle this amount of power.

A pair of 8-ohm cabs will give you a total impedance of 4-ohms.
    Two cabs will give you a lot of noise and the flexibility to take only a single cab as needed.
    You get a +6dB boost when you plug in a 2nd identical cab.
    3dB from 2x more power handling, and another 3dB from the doubling of cone area.