Beginner wants fun bass songs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cannsyl, Nov 30, 2012.

1. cannsyl

cannsyl

My son is 9 years old. He has been playing bass for about a year, but only in the last 6 months has he had a really regular instructor. He is picking it up really well and has a few songs under his belt now. He loves Holiday by Greenday and Rock You Like a Hurricane and almost anything Metallica.
    We are having a hard time finding songs for him to learn that are at his level, but fun to play. He doesn't really like it right now when he has to play a whole song with only one note. He wants to be challenged and he practices everyday on his own...I never have to ask him to play he always has his bass in his hands.
    I am sure this is a question often asked, but I was kind of looking for some specific songs that are more "lead" bass songs...where the bass "has more notes" as my son says. He really wants to play some "fun" songs where he can really move his fingers but still not too advanced.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I was going to suggest ZZ Top stuff. Much of it's pretty simple and it rocks.

If he wants something where the bass is important, try some Booker T & the MGs like Time is Tight or Green Onions. And if he's a Blues Brothers fan, try Soul Man. It has a nice balance.

I realize these are all "old stuff" to him, but when it comes to Metallica-stuff, I got nothin'. Hopefully he can appreciate some different types of music.

3. cannsyl

cannsyl

Thanks I will have him listen to those. He does like some older stuff...He loves Rush...he can play some of Tom Sawyer and he likes Sunshine of Your Love
    I am trying to get him to branch out and I think if he hears some songs where the bass is important he won't care so much how old the song is..
    Most of the music he liked before this was from Rock Band...He is 9 so his experience is limited

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Ramones. Blink 182.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lkbass22

lkbass22

Green Day has some pretty fun songs to play.

7. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

8. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Led Zeppelin II. I really feel that it's great CD to learn to because it has all the "Main" elements of R&B/Rock IMO. It's what I learned first and I never looked back. Most of the CD is easier than you would think.

9. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

A few songs on Nevermind by Nirvana. Not too hard for a beginner.

10. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Songs are fun to learn when we already know the tune. So....... that is kinda up to your 9 year old Son. A trip to the music store, or turn Google loose -- and that brings up what kind of sheet music will you be needing. Standard notation, tab or fake chord/lead sheet?

I see this as a memory moment, the day Dad and I spent all afternoon at the music store picking out my first song book.

Have fun.

11. droo46

droo46

Blink 182 is a great example of more "lead bass" as Hoppus has a very guitarish approach to bass. Anything off of their self-titled album is fun to play.

12. Russell L

Russell L

We Gotta Get Out of This Place
    Peter Gun theme.
    Smoke On the Water
    You Really Got Me
    All of the Day and All of the Night
    Break On Through To the Other Side

[Sorry, I'm old].

13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    If played like the recordings that last statement is way off. Maybe not technically super difficult, but there's are billions of bass notes on that album. I'm workin on the lemon song note for note. For about 6 months. And I'm nowhere near a beginner.

14. Synthax

Synthax

Try whats up by 4 non blonds. , you can easily do at song with 3 notes, dont get hun upmon playing it exactly like the recording etc, he can playnroots on that one and it will sound nice :). There are a ton of 3 chord songs out there he can try , it will help him learn his first position and he can play some real,songs fron to back along the way :)

Neil

15. Synthax

Synthax

Im sorry i must have misread your post some, you could have him try have you ever seen the rain -ccr , playing the piano part sounds awesome on bass, you could also try i want you to want me , the live version,its basically a major scale rundown from top to bottom.

16. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

+1
    I think we all had the moment no matter what the genre of music is our favorite because the publishers picked the default "standards" that they could get the rights to and not what we were listening right then in our communities. Hence the rise of the bootleg tab as soon as the internet made it possible and the web community wanted to help their fellow players

17. cannsyl

cannsyl

He plays mostly from tabs. There are a lot of great ideas here. I really appreciate it.

18. MD

MD

Have a listen to Santana's Abraxas. Very simple bass lines that are really easy to pick out by ear, which will be good for him, as both a challenge and ear training exercise. And they're classics.

19. keebler

keebler

Black Sabbath: "Paranoid," "Iron Man," "N.I.B."

Metallica: "Anesthesia," "Orion"

20. Auguste

Auguste

Darn, you saw my list. :)

Plus some of BTO like Not Fragile.

21. INTP

INTP

I'm not sure how open he is to styles, but here are some ideas that might be worth looking into.

Another one bites the dust
    Pretty woman
    Ob La Di Ob La Da
    Day Tripper
    Blister in the Sun
    End of the Line (Traveling Wilburys)
    Handle with Care (Traveling Wilburys)
    My Girl
    Stand By Me
    Feelin' Alright

I hope his enthusiasm stays for a long time. Sounds like he's off to a great start.