1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

beginners bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by samtheman27, Nov 20, 2012.

1. samtheman27

samtheman27

hey guys. what is a good beginners bass?

2. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Ibanez SR300, Peavey Millennium AC BXP, Squier P or J to name a few. The first two have active 3band EQ's for more range.

3. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

What's your price range? What are some bands you like?

4. zortation

zortation Supporting Member

Yamaha BB series is another good choice.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Batmensch

Batmensch

Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe series. Also Ibanez, Peavey, Yamaha, many more than I can remember. You younger people have a huge advantage over us older players. When I was first starting out, cheap almost always meant crap. It was very hard to find decent low-cost instruments. Nowadays, there are a plethora of good instruments for not a whole lot of money.

7. Kilometers

Kilometers

The beginner Ibanez basses are unmatched. I used to own one and I've never played one that wasn't solid in every way.

8. Blankandson

Blankandson

Played the Rogue 5-string. Neck is wood but body is particle board, so if you let go of the neck it rotates quickly upside down. If you are a beginner it's very easy to learn on. It's really not meant for a long-term bass. Once you get good on it, trade it. I think it's still around $150 at MF. It's very quiet so if you get one you'll need more power in your amp. My Warwick is probably 3 times louder.

9. ILLINOX

ILLINOX

i played an Ibanez gsr200 for almost 10 years just because i liked the sound. It cost me $400 (and now they get blown out for about $175) and I bought a few other basses over the years (higher end ibanezes, a $1200 cort, and a Squier Jazz) and i still preferred the ibanez for many things.

edit: the squier wins, though. and come to think of it, it's only $375 new, i think.

10. soulman969

soulman969

You just disappear without a single word about how much you want to spend. :rollno:

If you're a first time player then may be you're thinking about $200 or $300 right but if you're Donalds Trumps favorite nephew and he's springing for it maybe $2000-$3000 is in your price range. ;)

Tell us what price range you want to be in and the kind of music you like to play and you'll get better advice.

But lacking that I would tell you that in the $200 to $300 price range you could not go wrong with a Squier VM or CV Jazz or Precision Bass. A used VM would go for around $200-$225 and a used CV from around $250-$275. They run about $75-$100 more than that new.

Fender style basses are an industry standard, the quality of the CV models is exceptional for anything in that price range, and the VMs are quite good as well, they're easily modified to suit you tastes and you'll always be able to find a buyer if you ever decide to sell it.

Those are the ones I'd look into and if you find one you like you may never need to buy another ever. I own two CVs and play them professionally. They're very nice basses.

11. the wako kid

the wako kid

I just got a squier VM jaguar special for 200 new,and it's amazing.

12. Batmensch

Batmensch

It depends, but Squiers run from about $180 (Jaguar short scales) to about $349 for the Classic Vibe basses, my Vintage Modified Jazz and Precision cost me $299 and $279 respectively.

13. samtheman27

samtheman27

sorry that's its a lack of info :p I was in a rush n didn't think anyone would reply :p well my price range as one or two have guessed is £200-£300. I like listening to heavy metal but I don't like playing it. instead I like alternate, jazz,(wherever red hot chilli peppers come into), rock, classic rock... its a huge list. can I not just buy a standard bass that does all or most of those types of music?

14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Fender has Jazz and P Bass MIM and Squier packs that sell for under $300 U.S. Not sure what they sell for in Europe. Ibanez also has some great entry level basses.

15. the ombudsman

the ombudsman

In your price range I would stay away from anything with active electronics. A Squier P or J should serve you well, as stated above. Good luck!

16. hgiles

hgiles

Ibanez is most always a good bet.

17. soulman969

soulman969

Yes and either a Squier CV Jazz or a CV PBass would be very good choices. They're very much appreciated by those who play them which is evidenced by the fact that you seldom see many used ones for sale.

Ibanez makes some nice entry level basses as well but the Fender style basses tend to be more popular among more players. To me that means you'd have very little trouble selling a Squier CV should you decide to buy something else.

I hope this helps you because for what your looking for I really can't say better than either of those Squier CVs or a Matt Freeman PBass which is the same thing as a CV.

The Squier Vintage Modified line has some nice basses as well. Those are a little less expensive and a notch below the CV line as far as quality is concerned but the selection is a little broader.

Good Luck with your shopping samtheman. :)

18. samtheman27

samtheman27

whats the difference between Squier CV Jazz and a CV PBass. I understand ones percussion and others jazz but whats the difference?

19. NOT

NOT Supporting Member

It's not percussion, it's precision. The precision has a lot more bass to its sound, while the jazz has more mid range. The jazz neck is also thinner. Just try out some basses and see what feels right.