1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Beginner's dilemma - which Cort to choose?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Kucu01, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Kucu01

Kucu01

Hi All, it is my very first thread on this forum, I am glad to join the bass community as a newbie:)
    I want to begin to play the bass and I have narrowed my search to 2 entry-level models from Cort: Action-A and GB34 A.

I have been playing the guitar for decades so I am quite familiar with stringed instruments. My only concern is that I have really short fingers for a male, therefore neck and fretboard dimensions are crucial when choosing the right axe. Could you help me pick the one I will have a better grip on? Also I would welcome any general opinions about the Action and GB34 models to make sure my first bass won't disappoint me in the learning phase.

Cort GB34 A:
    FRETBOARD: Rosewood, 12" Radius (305mm)
    SCALE: 34" (864mm)

Cort Action A:
    FRETBOARD: Rosewood, 15 3/4" Radius (400mm)
    SCALE: 34" (864mm)

Thanks in advance for the replies!

2. JensCambre

JensCambre

when I started playing Bass about 12 years ago, my first one was a Cort Action bass and I loved it. It had a very slender neck (which would be great for your small hands) and it sounded pretty good. I think for the money you'll spend on one, you won't find a lot better out there. In my opinion it's the best bass to start out with.

3. Helmet

Helmet

I have a Cort action jr and love it. It's a 30" short scale. It has a great neck for small hands. It's only $200. I also have a Sterling by Musicman which also has a slim neck but I don't even play it anymore after getting the short scale Cort. It's so much easier for me to play. Don't let anyone convince you that you will get just as used to a full size bass or that the strings will be floppy on a short scale either. My short scale has much more tension than my full size bass because I put on thicker higher tension strings on it. Problem solved. Trust me on this, I have small hands and I wouldn't trade my Cort Action Jr for anything short of a Birdsong short scale. For $200 it is a fantastic bass! It just needs the right strings.
    http://www.cortguitars.com/en/product/action-junior

4. Helmet

Helmet

I don't play guitar, but being as you are an experienced guitar player I'd be willing to bet that getting a bass closer in size to what you're familiar with would greatly aid in that transition.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kucu01

Kucu01

I did not even consider buying a short-scale bass but but Helmet's definitely got a point there. Thank you all the suggestions.