Beginning to think Bass is not for me.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The1bassist06, Jan 30, 2014.

1. The1bassist06

The1bassist06

I have played for around 8 years now. I have spent a lot of money on my gear and what not and have practiced for hours playing over the years. But after like the first year of playing I have been getting really bored of it. I whenever I try learning a song or something I can't stick to it because I start getting bored. I did play with a band for awhile and wrote our own stuff but still was bored playing.

However whenever are drummer would leave or something I would get on them and start rocking out with are guitarist. Drumming came natrual to me and I felt if I actually practiced them I could be really good. I don't have the money for a drum kit and I would have to sell my bass rig to be able to afford it. Right now my bass gear just sits for months at times before I even touch it. What do you think I should do. I don't really wanna sell my gear but at the same time I want a drum kit =\.
  2. ZenG

ZenG

If you can afford to keep bass gear and also buy drums ...do that.

If you have to sell the bass gear to buy drums.....do that.

To thine own self be true........don't go bee-essing yourself.

If you take up drums you'll probably never play your bass again anyway.
  3. The1bassist06

The1bassist06

The only way Ill be able to afford a Drum kit is if I sell my bass gear.
  4. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Look at Criags or Ebay. Use local search on ebay.

I'll bet you'll end up with a fairly complete, drums, brass, throne really quick for not a lot of money.
  5. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

if drums is your thing then drums is your thing. sell that bass gear and buy those drums. I used to have bass gear, guitar gear, some drums, pa equipment and vocal mics. sold all of it and only have bass gear now. bass is what's for me. no where does it say you must own multiple instruments.
  6. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Try getting a cheap used kit, drums may be your thing, or you may also bore of that too.

There is certainly a honeymoon period with instruments, we sometimes need an extra kick to keep pushing us along.

That being said, as the others have pointed out, whatever sticks, will stick :)
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman Unmanageable Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Look, my advice to everyone has always been GIVE UP BASS. In fact, GIVE UP MUSIC!!!!

There is FAR TOO MUCH COMPETITION ALREADY, and I'm really SICK OF IT.

Can you imagine if fifty people a day quit trying to play in bands?

After a few years of that, I might be able to actually get as many gigs as I want.
  8. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

this i like.
  9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

If you can't afford drums without selling your bass rig, sell it and get you some drums if that's what you want. If you enjoy drumming and are bored with bass why worry over it. Have fun and don't look back. If you decide later you want to try bass again, get one at that time and see what happens, but for now dump the bass and go for the drums.
  10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I feel Bass is way more boring than guitar..which I also play. But I'm a better bass player in a band setting than guitar at this time so it is what it is :meh:
  11. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Anything can get boring especially if you aren't motivated to keep learning new songs and techniques. I am thinking about getting an inexpensive keyboard to help me develop a better harmonic ear. For me whatever I choose to do I need to keep it fresh somehow by learning more about it, and trying to always do new things with it. I'm pretty sure I will stick mainly to bass for a while, I keep trying to overcome technical difficulties and gradually I do tend to succeed.

That being said, nothing wrong with changing gears if you like or even getting out of music entirely if you want. Whatever you take up there's a chance you won't like it especially if you don't keep trying to push it further along in some way.

But hey, if you've got a good feeling about taking up drums and think you might be a natural at it, I say rock on it!
  12. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Albums:
    Start learning the Romantic Warrior record from Return to Forever. That should keep it interesting. If you're still bored working on that, it may be time to pound the skins.
  13. mellowinman

mellowinman Unmanageable Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would LOVE to do any of the following:

*60's/Psychedelic/Soul
    *R&B Crooning
    *Straight up Blues
    *Reggae
    *"Jazzy" Rock
    *Straight up 30's/40's era Standards
    *AM Radio Hits

I have had trouble finding musicians who want to do this stuff with me.
  14. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

been playin for forty plus years now and Im not bored yet
  15. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

A: Sell bass gear that bores you.

B: Buy a set of drums

C: Sell drums when they bore you

D: Go fishin' till that bores you.

E: Buy bass gear again after you realize how much you miss playing bass.
  16. marko138

marko138

F that bass man. If you don't like it, move on. I've got 4 bass guitars, 3 guitars, and 3 drum kits. I love them all. Do what you gotta do.
  17. bassinplace

bassinplace

Cheap used drum kits that are perfectly acceptable for a beginner are very easy to obtain on CL everyday. If you don't want to sell your rig, just save enough to buy an inexpensive used set. Easy enough.
  18. spade2you

spade2you

You don't necessarily need to close the door on bass to pick up another instrument. I'm transitioning to guitar as we speak. I'll still practice enough bass in case a good thing comes up.
  19. bassinplace

bassinplace

I just might do that. Thanks for the idea! :D :bassist:
  20. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

This. When I started dabbling in guitar, it actually inspired me to play more bass by changing the way I viewed writing music. Maybe you're just in a slump. You've got all the time in the world, so take your time before making any hasty decisions like selling off all your gear.