Behringer Combo Sound Quality?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SalmonCubes, Feb 20, 2013.

1. SalmonCubes

SalmonCubes

How is the sound quality of Behringer combo bass amps? I'm looking at purchasing a powerful (250w+) combo amp to play with, seeing as how I currently lack the cash, the knowlege, and the need for a serious amp + cabinet rig. I'm seeing a couple of Behringers, and in particular, the Behringer Ultrabass BXL3000, a 300w 1x15 combo. It's relatively inexpensive as well. Any thoughts or ideas, or even suggestions on something to fit my needs? If suggesting something new, keep in mind that built in effects and/or tone presets aren't appealing to me.
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

I can't comment on the sound quality because I don't know, but I would save my cash for something better if I were you.
  3. truecanadian04

truecanadian04

Behringer sucks, stay away. Save you money and get anything else.
  4. Arial Bender

Arial Bender

I own that amp,I wouldn't refer it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JonElyashiv

JonElyashiv

I had a 300w 1x15 combo. Loud and muddy. I would save the money for something better. I don't recommend it from personal experience.
  7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Agreed. Better to buy a good used amp, or better still, save up longer for something even better. That's better.
  8. JonElyashiv

JonElyashiv

Sorry, I forgot to add that the ampeg BA115 is a better alternative for around that price. I don't own it, but I have used one on many different occasions and it does the job well
  9. Dan_nj

Dan_nj

Had one. Look for something better
  10. bluesbassbkf

bluesbassbkf

Stay away,, garbage!
  11. Zoa

Zoa

Terrible.
  12. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

I have a Behringer Ultrabass BXL3000 that I use for practicing at my house. It works fine for that (low volume), but wouldn't use it for anything else. Tried it with the band once and it was not good.

--jack
  13. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

My practice amp is a BX1200 (120 watt 12 inch combo) and I gigged with it for 4 years before getting a proper amp.

Nothing but good things to say about it. It survived all kinds of physical abuse, the rollback is convenient, and you can't beat the price. It can cop a nice tone, and it overdrives quite pleasantly (and because of the low wattage I find myself overdriving it fairly consistently). The Ultrabass (octave down) tracks for crap, especially on 5-string.

The only problem I've had in 8 years of owning it and 4 years of gigging it was a torn speaker maybe two years ago, and that was certainly a fluke as I've ran it countless times before and since with all knobs maxed on both the amp and an active bass with no problems (again, competing [and succeeding] to be heard).

I'll say a bit more, since in the time it took me to write my post, the thread's flooded with one liners of Behringer hate. It's true they're low budget factory jobs, but the truth is so is every other mainstream mass market producer, some just charge more for their brand name. Like anything churned out of a factory, there's a high (some say higher in Behringer's case) percentage of crap that makes it out. I've had quite a few Behringer products and in my experience if it makes it past the warranty date, it's gonna last you a long time (and if it doesn't you can get a new one for free).

Make no mistake, my combo isn't anything special. If you're on any kind of tone quest you should start somewhere else. But if you want a nice generic bass sound, it'll get the job done. I would say it's the very definition of an amp for those who "lack the cash, the knowlege, and the need for a serious amp + cabinet rig."
  14. WingKL

WingKL

Depending on where you're located, you can get a used 400RB and a decent used cab for just a bit more than what that Behringer goes for. It's hard to go wrong with a 400RB.
  15. Tom_RCJ

Tom_RCJ

Disclosures:
    Band is sponsored by Trinity Amps and Sennheiser.
    Behringer is generally known as the laughing stock of the music industry. Similar to JobMate for construction tools (if jobmate is not available in the states, they're disposable junk). To be fair, Behringer seems to be making great effort to change that, and they do have some items that are usable. They recently bought out a very high quality Midas console, so I'm told.

For your purposes however, Peavy or Ampeg (amongst others) can provide you with an easily affordable amp with respectable quality. And no one will snicker at you for owning one of their amps.
  16. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

I've played on that combo amp; I went to audition for a band, took my Ampeg/LDS cab out there and was told by the guitarist to not bother since they had the Behringer. I plugged in and played along. It's like I was set up for failure. That amp was the equivalent of a deflated soccer ball. I've sounded better through a 1980's peavey centurion head.
    That was my experience.
  17. IPYF

IPYF

I use lots of Behringer gear and I expect it to be worth at least exactly what I pay for it. Every piece of Behringer gear I've owned has gone beyond that expectation without exception. Other people have had different experiences.

People always seem to forget that this gear is built for a price point. I used one of the 240w Behringer combos at school. It worked exactly as advertised and never let anyone down.

If tone is your primary motivation you can find things that might sound nicer used, like a Peavey or an old Hartke 350 combo unit. This will depend on where you live. If volume is your primary imperative looking at the Behringer might be your best bet. Their policy with amps seems to be to provide a cost effective yet loud solution. I know when I had my Behringer stack I was struggling to afford meals. I played in a loud band and my old combo blew from being overworked. The Behringer was the only option in my price range and it kept me in music for over three years for less than $800. I then sold all the units on and got $500 back.

The poster above who suggested that Behringer are the 'laughing-stock' of the music world is dead right about that being the predominant attitude. There are people like myself who would suggest that this is undeserved criticism for the most part.
  18. aus_bass

aus_bass

I owned the BX1800 (1x15 180W) for a few years, before stepping up to SWR. It was very solid and reliable and held up to many gigs, no problem.

I just don't get all the Behringer hate on here. I owned one, it worked fine and I'd recommend it. Can't speak for other models, so YMMV, etc.
  19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

There is a BX1200 on my local CL for $130. lol
  20. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

I have the bxl3000 combo. Don't listen to the people who rag on this amp. I have expensive taste, but I try to keep an open mind. I got a good deal on the amp so I bought it to have a powerful amp for home practice, that could double as a keyboard amp. Its not the best inexpensive 1x15 combo out there. I paid just a little more for my ampeg BA115HP which is rated at 80 fewer watts, but is louder and sounds better than the Behringer, AND has a built in tuner. Anyway. Do I regret getting the Behringer? No. Will I ever use it with a band, whether it be to record, rehearse, or perform? No. Could I record, rehearse, and perform with my Behringer if I ever had to? Absolutely, and it would do just fine.
  21. Arial Bender

Arial Bender

Along with my BXL 3000, someone gave me a 1800A that wasn't working. I tried to request a schematic from Behringer and they only send schematics to authorized service centers ????????????