1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Behringer Firepower FCA1616 \ FCA610 USB\Firewire Interface

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Tunaman, May 3, 2012.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Anybody else excited to see what these bring to the table?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FCA 1616

FCA 610

Video preview 1

Video preview 2

$199 & $249... so with the normal 15% coupon we are talking some low cash here

Personally, I don't want to invest huge money in dying firewire & USB 2.0 recording with Thunderbolt & USB 3.0 coming around in a few years. Also since bars pay me with "exposure" and I can't pay for gear with "exposure" I'm excited about the price point of this gear

Hopefully we can get 8 simultaneous tracks going. The manual isn't up yet. The Tascam 1800 also is near this price point, its 4 tracks though. $200 to me is where I wanna be.

Anybody else excited about these coming out?
  2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Yep, they look hot. They seem to have great features and about every jack you could ever want.

"Coming soon" could be months, years, from Behringer - hard to tell. And I bet the street price is lower.

I was hoping to find out if they'd directly support IOS also. I would hope Behringer would be forward thinking about this. I was a little disappointed in the Tascam IU2 build quality and I'd like an interface that does IOS, PC and even Mac.

Also I'm a little surprised they did not announced these with Thunderbolt capabilities.
  3. Tunaman

Sea-

Hopefully its not too long! GK is also like that, takes like 9 months after announcement to come down the pipe

The Tascams did get bad reviews, I was looking at em, the 1800 in particular. Too bad

Thunderbolt would have pushed the price point way to high. Next generation of these will have USB 3.0 or thunderbolt in about 5 years when computers have "hopefully" adopted these ports.

I recorded in Stereo last night. Sucks. Recording drums is complete ass without multitracking. I need to get this bad boy.
  4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Unless you can get the drummer to play edrums and record the MIDI :D (Let's not go there)

It's probably a good thing to point out that these interfaces can simply be expanded to add more Mic in's with:

[​IMG]
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/ADA8000.aspx

The ADA8000 is actually quite popular in many studio and live situations. It's a simple answer to add more analog IO.
  5. Tunaman

Man the new interface looks A LOT better than that at a similar price point.

I'm willing to wait it out
  6. seamonkey

seamonkey

I'm saying they work together. The ADA800 is already everywhere. Using a FCA1616 your DAW just sees 8 more inputs when you plug the ADA8000 into the FAC1616. The ADA8000 is used in many studios and live also doing just this for other digital consoles. Behring has other productions that are going to be compatible. Like digital snake, or personal monitoring systems that are also "coming out"

Behringer is getting very good about making sure gear is compatible for years and years. And to think about it, I guess this may be why they're holding off on Thunderbolt. It's not proven yet.

And IMHO - I don't expect to see any USB 3 Audio Interfaces from any company.

Either way, I'm looking forward to these interfaces. Lot's of features and jacks I can use!
  7. Tunaman

I see sea,
    Thanks for the heads up
    I think the 1616 straight up will be enough for me

I'm also agreeing it will be a while for the next generation to make it on both laptops & interfaces for a reasonable price.

I'm glad they recognized the general lack of low price multitrack recording. Probably will be Sep till we see em.
  8. Tunaman

@BEHRINGER When can we expect the FCA1616 interface, and what will be the expected list price?
    BEHRINGER ♫ ♫ ‏ @BEHRINGER
    @bad_fader_pro No exact date as of yet. Probably late-Q3/Q4, target price in the US around $249. :)

Tweet from Behringer as to arrival of FCA1616. September at the earliest! May have to be my Christmas present!
  9. Tunaman

Audacity 2.0

Released March 2012

This will be the free software for the Firepowers :bassist:

I'm getting a handle on it now. Not bad for free :D
  10. seamonkey

seamonkey

11. BeSharp

BeSharp Supporting Member

These seem to be "modeled" after the Focusrite Saffire series. The little Behringer one is definitely similar to the Focusrite Pro 24. You can get the Pro24 on ebay used for about $120 and new for $199 (refurb with warranty). I have a few of these and they're great. No reason to wait for an inferior Behringer product when you can get virtually the same thing with much higher quality I/O for very close to the same price.
  12. Tunaman

No USB out, not rackmountable, only 2 xlr inputs, only 2 1/4" inputs...

I'm willing to wait it out... 4 mics for drums, 3 vocals, 2 guitars & 1 bass. Need the input quantity
  13. seamonkey

seamonkey

Where are you getting this?
    The Behringers are not out yet. There is no way you could have opened one up and determined Behringer has copied any IP from Focusrite.

Focusrite has a 1 year warranty. Behringer has a 3 year warranty.

I doubt you'll every have to use the warranty for either one, but why isn't Focusrite on warranty par with Behringer?

Again, how can you determine it's inferior? How do you know the I/O is better or worst?

My questions are rhetorical.

It could be that since you own a few focusrite interfaces and want to convey that they are a good alternative product, but you present this as behringer bashing.

We'll know more once they actually hit the streets.
  14. Tunaman

15. Tunaman

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

This year for sure ... :)

Behringer and "Others" need to quit announcing products they never get around to shipping.

Focusrite is another "announcement", it's not shipping yet, but I bet it does ship soon. Also it's USB2 only. (Not a problem for me)
  17. seamonkey

seamonkey

Uli mentions
    http://soundforums.net/varsity/4299-uli-behringer-music-group-q-19.html#post46370

So it sounds like they are actively pursuing this market. I guess it just takes some time to perfect. And recent interfaces like Thunderbolt could be game changers. IMHO Firewire, although superior, is not a way of the future. It's happened before that the best isn't always the technology that stays around for the long run.
  18. seamonkey

seamonkey

19. Tunaman

I saw that... I'm betting these FCAs aren't hitting the market now

There are no rack versions with more inputs ! Sucks!
  20. seamonkey

seamonkey

I heard the Behringer had some problems with the chip supplier. They still plan to release the FCA. This time with Midas pre's. That should make these a great interface.