1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Behringer iNukes yes or no?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by troy mcclure, Jan 19, 2013.

1. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

I am seriously thinking about going this route to replace my lead sleds in my PA rack.
    Does anyone use them?
    Are they reliable?

I am probably going to buy very over powered ones and not push them at full capacity.

My experience with Behringer has been hit and miss... if you have to stomp on it it always breaks but if you left it a rack it seemed that the stuff lasted.

The dsp6000 seems like a real deal at about $.07 A watt.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Personally, I trust nothing Behringer. That said, I have heard that there were issues with I Nukes when they came out, but that the current production ones are fine, albeit their power ratings are exaggerated.

3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Hit or miss according to other folks.
    My experience is like yours, if you don't abuse it and are careful then it will last.
    (i.e. my grown children's KX1200's keyboard amps got left here when they moved away and now reside under our big screen TV for theater sound).
    I did get the bass amp "The Nuke" recently at a bargain sale that has, I believe, the same power amp guts so I'll find out how fixed it is too.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Find reviews
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/NU6000DSP.aspx

Find reviews and experiences on the Pro Audio Forums
    You'll find them in the audiophile forums. Audiophiles are just changing to quieter fans and using them as it.

They are a solid amp.

The DSP is well worth the extra $$$. For the life of the amp you'll have many opportunities to use it.

When you buy one - Call for the best price. Behringer has MAP pricing, and you can get them for less than advertised.
    for example look here.

http://www.jrrshop.com/behringer-inuke-nu6000-power-amplifier
    Coupon: NEWYEAR15

BTW Uli Behringer is active on some pro audio forums. Like over here
    http://soundforums.net/varsity/4299-uli-behringer-music-group-q-8.html

Lots of good information there.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. troy mcclure

7. 3506string

3506string

I've got a NU6000DSP right now sitting in a box about to be sent off for the 2nd time for warranty work for the same issue of distorted output. My case does seem to be isolated, but based on my experience, I couldn't recommend running them without backups.

8. 40 Hz

40 Hz

I have the iNuke 3000DSP that I use for both bass and PA work. Super light and it works great for me. The programable DSP (w/ digital EQ/limiting/crossover/etc.) is a real bonus.

I have owned a variety of Behringer gear over the last ten years and have had zero problems. This amp is not rugged like a Crown, Crest or QSC, but I treat it well and I really like the light weight of it.

Check the specs though, I my memory is right, the 6000 model can't be run at 2 ohms - if that is important to you. I think that is why I chose the 3000 model - it can run at 2 ohms.

9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Grossly overrated power rating and spotty track records. Consider Peavey IPR or Crown Drivecore if you want lightweight and inexpensive.

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Not on these amps. They are coming in as Behringer has spec in lab tests capable of measuring them.

http://www.behringerdownload.de/_pd...ols4music English review_2012-03-13_Rev.0.pdf

There are other reviews and articles stating the same.

That said, a PV IPR DSP is a good deal if you know how what the PV DSP is capable of. 5 year warranty on PV

11. troy mcclure

I was thinking the DSP 6000 for 3000 a side for 4ohm subs
    I really don't need a huge amount of power for the tops and we don't run in stereo so just the dsp1000. If they would ship the 4 channel amp that would be perfect for my monitors, though a bit too much power.

The whole rack with crossover and power supply would be 50-60 lbs.

12. Keithwah

Keithwah Supporting Member

This seems to be the case with most B-word gear. You either love it or hate it. The vast majority of owner/users have nothing but good fortune with it. But it's the few that are the loudest. I have a few items for home use, but not for stage use. For stage, it's my preference to lean on the better quality makers, who make much better sounding and performing gear.

But if it isn't a lemon, they are reliable. I wouldn't buy it. But if you do, odds are good you will have a reliable mediocre sounding device, and it will continue working for years. But be on the watch to see if further developments with their newly acquired Midas, Klark, and Turbo make a difference in audio standards. I will say the new X-32 console is very very nice.

13. troy mcclure

Mediocre is my middle name. So Keith will there amps sound different then another similar Class D amp.... Crown or QSC PLX...these are all probably considered mediocre products by folks who use Crest.

14. 3506string

3506string

I've had 4 power amps through my current rig, A Crown XTI2000, Peavey IPR3000, Behringer NU6000DSP, Peavey IPR3000DSP. I haven't noticed any difference in sound other than their background hiss, and how they sound when they are approaching clipping. Funny enough the Crown by far sounded worse than the other three when hard limiting or clipping.

15. Keithwah

Keithwah Supporting Member

3506string is pretty accurate with his assessment. They are noisier than most and get "squishy" near peak. I've never been sold on Peavey's ability to translate intense bottom end on a PA level, but yet I am fine with their bass amps when I use a bass amp.

Speaking of Crest, you might have thought that when Peavey had bought out Crest many years ago, it was to advance their own quality. But the real reason was that Mississippi was running low on chain gang labor and they heard New Jersey was loaded with it. Crest really hasn't been a big player in the business for some time now. They still do good stuff from what I've seen in passing. If you stumble across an old clean used Crest FA901 and want to drive your bass rig, well, sure why not. They are very clean.

I prefer QSC's on any price level when it comes to affordable "gigging guy" gear. Not everyone can afford Lab's or Power Soft's and some of the more esoteric stud power amps out there, but QSC has always been more reliable and cleaner than others at the same price point. And I've never had a blown one on the bench out of all the thousand's I have installed in theaters, arena's, convention centers, houses of worship, clubs, movie theater complexes, race tracks and ball parks and also used in live scenarios as a FOH and performer. I also install some Crown, but it's mostly because I like my Crown rep who takes care of me on other products very well, is being tossed a bone. And the do a great job in the applications I use them in. And to be fair my JBL PRX 3-way tops and the bigger PRX subs are fairly manly for my investment so far.

But I would really look hard at getting a QSC GX series amps over the B-words, they should operate cleaner and punchier.

16. troy mcclure

Thanks Keith for taking your time.

17. Liv3rman

Liv3rman

Behringer stuff sucks in my experience. I wasted so much money as a beginner buying this tat as I was on a budget. Lesson learned!

18. seamonkey

seamonkey

Behringer introduced iNUKE NU12000, iNUKE NU12000DSP
    12,000 watts "Peak"

When independent measurements are made they are expected to do 4400w "RMS" a channel @ 2 ohms. It has special power line requirements.

Here's another NU6000 independent measurement and review.
    http://forum.speakerplans.com/behri...am-kxd7200-bench-tested_topic69202_page1.html
    It easily delivers published specs. The NU6000 was 4 ohm stable per channel @ 2200 W "RMS". The NU12000 is 2 ohm stable, and more power!

19. compressit

compressit Supporting Member

I have had a 3000DSP for over a year now. No issues and impressive performance. Just for my bass rig though, not terribly punishing I guess. Our band has an E drummer who is powering his system with the same amp. Thats a little bit more of a workout maybe. Fabulous amps for the money. The internal DSP is better than any on the market that I have seen. HPF with 48 db slope? You could stop right there with the DSP features and still be very happy with that brick wall.
    I realize PA is another world, but it seems to me the DSP features would have a lot more people looking at and trying these amps.