Behringer mixers

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by walknbluez, Nov 14, 2012.

1. walknbluez

walknbluez

So it is fairly well agreed upon that when it comes to amps that Behringer is considered low quality. What about mixers? I'm looking for an inexpensive 4 or 5 channel mixer. My son plays an electronic drum set and currently we plug it into the stereo. But he also wants to be able to sing through a mic and I can't plug two things into the stereo at once, thus a mixer is needed.

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    For that purpose it'll be just fine. Behringer stuff doesn't SOUND bad, it just doesn't take abuse as well as some other brands.

3. walknbluez

walknbluez

Well, he's only 5 and so he sometimes needs a reminder to be careful with some things. I saw a Behringer Xenyx 502 Mixer for about $49 at Guitar Center and $45 on Amazon. The description says "High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life" but who knows. But what could go wrong I guess if its just "living room" use.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

New Behringer mixers are in collaboration with Klark Tekniks
    Top of the line in design.
    They win top awards

Behringer, Klark Tekniks, Midas, Turbosound
    It's time to drop the old internet folklore
    [​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tuned

Tuned

Well sure, the X32 is a Midas design, but their little mixers aren't anything special.

7. subdude67

subdude67

i use 2 behringer boards for years and for the price they are doing a fantastic job. i would not hesitate to buy them again.

8. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Yeah, the little mixers are great. Don't expect to be able to take a hammer to them or pour beer over them, but they get the job done fine.

9. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Look, there's nothing in the world a 5 year old can't break, so get something cheap that you don't have to worry about so much, and is easy to replace.

For what it's worth, I know a ton of drummers who use those little Behringer mixers to run click track/in ears, and I've never heard any complaints.

10. BassedInSpace

BassedInSpace

For practicing they are fine, I found their faders on the cheaper mixers seem to fail a lot and cut out or break, I'd recommend you get a mixer with the volume knobs on pots as they seem to last much longer than their faders. They are nice cheap mixers for rehearsal but I wouldn't do any serious recording with them or use them live, layering tracks really makes the muddiness of the channels stick out.

11. walknbluez

walknbluez

12. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Your Mom.
    For just a little more cash, and a lot more flexibility, I'd step up to the Xenyx 1002. Not to mention GC has a $10 of a $50 purchase coupon right now...:bassist:

13. walknbluez

walknbluez

Due to the fact that it has more inputs?

14. goldenglory18

Disclosures:
    Your Mom.
    Yeah, that and there are a few other features on the 1002. Better preamp(s), Phantom power for channels 1 and 2, low filter/pad and better control of the mains.

I use an older version of the 1002 (pre xenyx) and use it as part of my silent/primary home practice rig. I couldn't imagine getting one any smaller (input wise) than something like the 1002...

15. walknbluez

walknbluez

Looks like something I wanted to get my 5 year old so I could satisfy his need to hear himself through a mic is turning into something that will really be mine! :)

16. goldenglory18

Disclosures:
    Your Mom.
    Isn't that the way it always works with kids and "their" toys???

LOL

17. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

I'll never buy a Behringer again.

The two mixers I currently own are a Behringer bought in 1997, new, always under a cover when not in use. And a Tascam M-216 that I bought on ebay in 2008, from a bar in Louisiana that arrived covered in old beer, built ca. 1986. Never covered it.

Half of the stuff in the Behringer is broken, including a bunch of important switches that don't work at all or that need multiple attempts to work. The Tascam has a couple minor oddities, nothing spectacular.

IMHO Behringer is trash.

18. seamonkey

seamonkey

19. walknbluez

walknbluez

LOL! I went from trying to find a simple splitter so he could plug his guitar or electronic drums along with a mic into the stereo to a $50 mixer, to a $70 mixer to a $90 mixer! I'll probably end up walking out with a Mackie 24 channel mixer with 2 mains and a PA! But you're right, if I'm going to do it, may as well get the one with USB.

20. seamonkey

seamonkey

21. walknbluez

walknbluez

Yeah but goldenglory18 already talked me up to the 1002 which has more features. And now you've talked me up to the 1002 USB. Hopefully, I'll get some use out of it myself if I go for it.