1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Behringer tuner: really that bad?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Strikebass, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Strikebass

Strikebass

Since I just bought a new bass, I have to put aside for a little before thinking of getting a tuner. Anyway, I've been asking around just so that i'm prepared when the time comes. I premise that I had a harley benton tuner, and it was crap: after 2 weeks it kinda broke down, the led goes crazy whenever I pick a string. It still does so. Therefore my trust in cheap pedals has lowered a bit. But I asked a friend of mine, who's very keen and fairly bass expert, about the behringer tuner he owns. He said it's never given him a problem. So here's the matter: should I take a risk another time, at the cost of maximum 20 euros, and get a behringer, which might work, or wait and take a pitchblack or a TU-3? (I've been told the latter is the best one for bass, but I've also been told that it's not true bypass. I'd like somebody to tell me once and for all whether it is or not xDD)

TY in advance!
  2. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I have a friend that swears by Behringer stuff. He says "It's German engineering made with Chinese labor". As far as I'm aware, he's never had any real problems with his Behringer stuff. (Probably the reason he swears by it)

I think there is definitely a certain degree of stigma attached to Behringer gear, but whether or not it's deserved........ I don't know.
  3. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

I've just gone by this rule; if it's Behringer gear that you stomp on to activate, buy some spares.

Have had good results with their rack mount gear though.
  4. Strikebass

Strikebass

It seems a coinflip to me you know? This friend of mine has sworn he hasn't had any problem with that 17-euros pedal. Though I, with my harley benton ordered on Thomann, Had a big problem. I'm wondering if it's worth to risk 20 euros or waste (after all 80 euros for a pedal, from my point of view, is a f.. waste) 80 euros for a pedal which will have to last till eternity
  5. Vincent P

Vincent P Supporting Member

I've used the Behringer BTR 2000 tuner for about 3 years with no issues. Is it the best, not really, as it could be quicker but for everything it claims it should do, it does.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BTR2000.aspx

For the price, its not a bad tuner.
  6. metaball

metaball

+1
    Patchbay, 2x ADA8000, HA4600, 8channel mixer, DI800, DI100, Bass Vamp.
    Had them for many years. all work great & sound pretty good for the price. most of them live in a rack, lost some knobs in a move but they still work.

Headphones were total crap, speakers/amps i've heard were bad, pedals seem flimsy so i never bought one.

if you're lookiing for a good cheap tuner check out the Snark. $15
  7. bobalu

bobalu

I'm assuming you want either a pedal or a clip on tuner (rather than a rack mount).

I'm also assuming that the price of the Pitchblack/TU-3 is within your range of affordability (even though you need to save up a bit).

So.......

I own both the Pitchblack and the TU-3. They are accurate, dead reliable, well constructed, and easy to use & read on a dark stage or in daylight. I've also been down the cheap tuner road and wasted my money + frustration to no end. A tuner is a pedal you will always have and use so why cheap out? I have a Snark as well and it works great but the display is not very bright (hard to read in daylight).

I would recommend the Pitch black without hesitation. If you're going to cheap out on a tuner, than just buy a tuning fork ;).
  8. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp Supporting Member

Im on 3 years with behringer rack tuner. I like it better than korg.
  9. ack

ack Supporting Member

Yup - I bought the same tuner a couple of years back. It works fine. I think the store was blowing them out for $35 new.
  10. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

I have had the BTR200 in my rack for about five years..it has seen a few tours and is still going strong...never had an issue with it..
  11. andvari7

andvari7

Do you have an iPhone or Android phone? There are tuner apps for both that can get you decent results. I have one for when I play unplugged, which is more often than with pedals.
  12. AaronMB

AaronMB

You could always split the difference: budget for a lightly used tuner of your choice. I recently found a TU-2 for a good price and it's in great condition.
  13. Strikebass

Strikebass

For bass you reccomend more the pitchblack than tu by boss?
  14. groovepooper

groovepooper

I have one, and it works fine. Bass stays well in tune so don't have to use it that much. Tracks a little slow, but I'm happy with it. Cost me 17 euro's. If I have more money to spend I might buy a boss/korg/polytune, but for now it does the job.
  15. mouthmw

mouthmw Supporting Member

I had Behringer TU300 for about 2 years. Never had a problem with it but it did track slow (especially the E string tuned to D#, always had to use harmonics for it to register it). I moved on to polytune and I'm much happier. It's not a bad tuner though, and mine always tuned me up for shows, albeit slower than poly does now.
  16. Strikebass

Strikebass

Ok... someone knows whether boss tuner is true bypass or not?
  17. perogato02

perogato02

I have the BTR2OOO .. it is a decent racktuner,
    it could be quicker picking up notes but you can't complain for that price
  18. mcnach

mcnach

A tuner is pretty important, one of the pedals you will use the most: get a good one.

I'd recommend the Korg Pitchblack or the Korg GT-10 (I think not being built anymore, but you still find them second hand for not much money). Both are great tuners and built very solidly.
  19. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

I agree, I had a q filter they made and within a month the stomp switch was shot. I have a few pieces of their rack gear that are no trouble.