Behringer Ultrabass BX4500H

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by conebone, Oct 24, 2013.

1. conebone

conebone You never know what youre gonna find in the jungle Supporting Member

Please be gentle with me, I am new to cabs and bass heads, but I'm doing my best to learn.

I'm using a Seismic Audio 1x15 cabinet and a Behringer Ultrabass BX4500H. I keep hitting the "limit" light below my Output knob. Basically, what is eq'ing, and how do I make myself loud, but clear. I know this may seem absolutely stupid, but you never learn unless you ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Kyle
  2. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

Never mind the blinking light, turn the gain up abit then use the volume output as your overall volume. That amp gets plenty loud I had one & 2 of the 3500 versions, solid simple tone & bass friendly eq.
  3. conebone

LOL alright thanks man, definitely appreciate the quick feedback!

I have my gain turned up all the way, should I turn my volume on my bass all the way up, and then modify the volume on my head?

Lastly, my low E and A sound a bit muffled, I honestly sound like a noob asking, but how do I make it clearer?

"Never mind the blinking light." Good, I didn't like that thing anyway.
  4. IPYF

IPYF

Set your eq flat on the 5 band to start (all knobs at noon), then boost your mids and high mids only to around 1-2 o clock depending on how hot the mid and treble is on your bass, and if possible cut the low mids to about 10 o'clock and try not to push the bass knob higher than noon unless you're in a really dead room. Run the master at about noon and turn the shape off. Set your bass as loud as its going to get then turn the gain stage of the head up until you're loud enough.

When I used to run this amp I found most of the brown sound came from the low mid control and too much liberal application of the shape knob, so cut those while boosting your gain stage to go louder while cleaner. Cutting bass on your instrument might also be necessary if you're still clipping the gain stage of the amp. Go easy on that 115. It's only just got enough watts to handle the Behringer so you need to make sure that speaker doesn't cry. It's only rated at 200rms so you don't want to throw too many low frequencies at it. Definitely don't run the shape function on the head any higher than noon at high volume or your 15 might bite the dust before its time.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

Maybe turn the gain to maybe halfway and turn up the master to where you want it. If the E and A strings still sound a 'a bit muffled' turn the gain down until they aren't and control your overall volume with the master volume.
  7. conebone

This was INCREDIBLY helpful. Thanks A LOT! Which are my mids and highs knobs? I never use Shape anyway, so I don't need to risk using that, so thats a relief. When you refer to the "master" do you mean my main volume knob? Sorry if these questions sound dumb, I'm really trying to learn everything about this so I can properly use it.

Then, if I read your directions correctly, I should turn my bass volume up all the way, and then modify it with my Gain. If thats what you mean, I understand that perfectly.

Do you know anything concerning the "limit" light underneath the Output? Should I be worried if it blinks occasionally?

I mostly use this thing for shows, and my main goal is to get a nice, loud, clear sound without damaging any of my gear. If it helps, I play a Fender P-bass.

Seriously, thanks for the help!
  8. IPYF

IPYF

Ok. A Fender P is quite easy to work with. Just turn the volume all the way up and adjust your tone knob to taste.

You'll notice that the BX4500 has 5 knobs for the EQ (Bass, 140hz, Middle, 1.6 khz, and Treble). The nasty one in my experience is the one marked 140hz. It's really really overbearing if you boost it and can cause your sound to gather a lot of wool. The knob marked Output wont do much past 10 o'clock (I never found that I needed to run it much past there anyway) but can go to noon.

The Gain knob is the one you need to be careful of because that's the one that's making that limit light come on when you dig in. You should set the gain to where you're noticing that light come on infrequently then back it off a hair. If you're still not loud enough then push the Output up a bit or boost the Middle knob a little more for added cut.

You can add the Deep switch in if you really like but it could stress your speaker and make your tone browner. Avoid the Ultrabass entirely (it's a bad copy of a pretty pointless feature). The shape set to halfway is ok, it's essentially a parametric that has some interesting options but I wouldn't run it high unless you're trying to hold out under solos. Bright switch is ok, but it produced too much ping for my taste.

Hope this helps. If you're finding you're not getting enough volume still you might need to look at getting a more efficient cab, maybe with 10"s in it.
  9. conebone

Ohhhhhhhh, alright alright, I get it now. Great description btw, really helped me get it. I'm going to experiment with it tomorrow, and yea I'm probably going to stay away from the 140. I definitely prefer a more cleaner sound, and I know my cab can handle the volume I want, I just got my P-bass recently and have had some trouble adjusting it.

Thanks again, I think I will be able to figure this out now thanks to you!
  10. conebone

Alright, I've got the volume issue under control, and thanks to you I have taken care of the limit light. I have a better understanding of how that whole system works.

I have two more questions though before I have all of my problems solved. First off, the needle on the left of my head is consistently rising onto the border of the red and white. Is that bad or detrimental to my cab?

Secondly, my volume is no longer an issue, but the lowest notes on my A string and the lowest tones on my E string don't sound right. They sound lighter?? How do I adjust my lower tones to make them sound...normal...

Anyway, you've been a huge help so far. Thanks again for the help so far!
  11. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

That needle guage is pretty much a gimmick taken fromthe ashdown amp that this amp is copying. The limit light is probably not indicating trouble as much as telling you have a hotter signal, I don't think anything is going to blow up if it blinks when you play. I would put the gain up to 12 oclock rite in the middle of its range or less maybe to start, you can bring it up until the limit lite comes on then just back it off a little, then bring up your output volume for a comfortable playing volume. The volume issues you describe sound like your pickups mite need adjustment for height, the distance they are from theyre perspective strings. Loosen the adjustment screws to adjust them higher.
  12. conebone

When you say my pickups need adjustment, do you mean lowering my action? or lifting the strings higher?
  13. Darkonar

Darkonar

Rising the pickup until you deem the problem fixed, but just the one under the strings you mentioned. If that still don't do it, might as well try new strings.