1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Behringer vs Hartke

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Spectorized, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Spectorized

Spectorized

I would like some opinions. I am about to buy a bass amp. It is either going to be Behringer BX4500H Ultrabass Bass Amplifier Head (450 Watts) or the Hartke HA2500 (250 watts). Both would $250.00. which would be the better amp? I would be running it through a Hartke 210xl(eventually 2 x 210xl's). Any input would be appreciated.
  2. Staredge

Staredge

Hartke. Purely based on the customer service.
  3. bassburner

bassburner

I personally wouldn't buy Hartke again because I got a Kickback and three of the pots broke off because they're just plastic shafts.

Although I'm sure you'll here plenty of negatives on Behringer.

My old GK head was bought used for roughly that price. It might be worth looking for.
  4. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

Probably best to go with the Hartke, even if it is lower wattage. They'll most likely sound best with the cabs. I have never had any luck with Behringer amps.
  5. LegoBass

LegoBass

Hartke, no question. I am biased towards Hartke, but I really think they have great gear. The HA2500 was my first real amp and I even have in my rack as a back up amp. It is super reliable, pretty loud, and has some nice tonal features. I I recommend that amp to anyone either looking for their first amp or just a little short on budget. It won't sound like an Ampeg or vintage amp, it is a bit more modern sounding, but I really like the sounds it gets.
  6. wshines1892

wshines1892

The Hartke hands down. I used a 3500 briefly and it was a pretty cool amp. The "tube" side of the pre-amp was neat. It should be just about as loud as the Behringer. Some companies tend to exaggerate wattage, Behringer being one of them. Need we bring up the Bugera Nuke boasting something to the tune of 3600 watts.

Hartke is going to sound good, and if something goes wrong with it they'll take care of you. Behringer arguably will do the same with a warranty, but it might turn into a long term head ache of playing amp pong trying to get one that works reliably.
  7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Hartke here as well ... but just to toss something else, that 210XL ran by itself will be fairly limiting if you are concerned about volume ... I am familiar with the cab, I have two, and I consider them about 50-75 watts a driver to be what they are realistically capable of ... a second one will make a big difference ...

Edit to add: ... JMHO, but I would at least consider a used head, even a HA 2000 or similar and then opt for the second 210XL sooner rather than later ...
  8. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

Hartke. Great stuff and Larry Harke personally answers questions here on talkbass! :)
  9. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

Make sure to register it and it might be worth it to spring for the 20 bucks for 2 years extension warranty. Where are you buying it from?
  10. R Baer

R Baer Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Baer Amplification
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Legalized gambling. They bet your product won't break, you bet it will. Rule number one of gambling: the house always wins.

Hartke for me, too. By far.
  12. Arjank

Arjank

Though not mentioned by the OP, maybe you could consider the Bugera BVP5500. I own the amp for 2 years now and no complaints about the sound or reliability here. Believe me, some pro players from the dutch music scene heard my setup and couldn't believe it (maybe my homebuild 210 also has something to do with it :) )
  13. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Hartke! Although i was never able to get MY sound out of any hartke 2500/3500 head, they sound a lot more then behringer to my ears. And they are used on many small gigs as backline, so you will have your sound although your gear stays at home :)
  14. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Hartke without a doubt
  15. JoZac21

JoZac21

Hartke no doubt. In all honesty, I think they make better amps than a bunch of those that are double the price. Plus, it doesn't hurt that Larry Hartke is THE MAN, and the customer service is second to none, IME.
  16. Alexander

Alexander

Hartke, hands down
  17. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

Behringer has their own plant in China where they oversee quality control. I have seen several videos of their plant where it looks like a state of the art setup. Lots of high end automated machine doing sodering. No 13 year old s working on a cabinet install. I know they spent over a million dollars to improve quality control as they are aware of their poor reputation from the past.

With that being said, I would test a Berhinger to the Hartke and let your ears tell you which one is better. I would think Hartke but you never know.