Being a bassist impersonator - and wuts up w Emotional Rescue

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I payed in a RHCP tribute, and currently play in a Zep tribute. I grew up on the basslines of both those bands and the technique and sound just kinda came naturally to me. Or at least the ballpark sound. A stingray, and a jazz bass helped. Technique, IMO, plays a bigger part.

Just got asked to play in a stones tribute. While I've always been a fan, I never really worked at recreating what was done on their albums. Some Stones material is a no brainer, but I had a go at Emotional Rescue last night. I hate covering improved bass lines... As I really like learning things note for note, but aside from that there's a pretty unique bass sound goin on there. Any body have any insight into that sound, and who's actually playing? Rumor has it that it's Ron Wood.

So... Kind of a dual topic thread here. 2 questions?

What's up with the bass on Emotional Rescue?

What's your experience, thought, feelings, ideas, etc. regarding impersonating other people's sound and style?
  2. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Yes, Emotional Rescue is Ron Wood on bass. His bass playing on the first two Jeff Beck Group albums is great too. Knowing him, it was probably a Fender Jazz. If you do join the Stones tribute, be sure not to write off Wyman so quickly like others seem to do. Pay attention to his playing, and notice the subtle shifts and changes he plays/makes throughout songs, especially on the mid to late 70s stuff.
  3. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

Yep, Wyman is way underrated. You might want to invest in a short scale if you really want to cop his tone, however.
  4. interp

interp Gold Supporting Member

Wyman is definitely extremely underrated. He did what very few bass players are able to do consistently--play exactly what's right for every tune.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hover

hover

Yes.