Being a Good Samaritan. Or are you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by gustobassman, Mar 31, 2014.

1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    When is it right or wrong to be the Good Samaritan?

The question posed above is my dilemma today. Here's the story..

I had to go to the bank today and it happens to be on a pretty busy street. I'm getting ready to turn into the parking lot and i notice a 6-7 year old kid literally walking/running in the middle of 2 busy southbound lanes. A woman stopped her car in the middle of traffic and started chasing the kid. She caught up to him and pulled him to the sidewalk on some grass. People driving were honking and swerving with out slowing down, the kid and the woman almost got hit twice. I thought it was her kid. Not so much. She pleaded me to call 911, the kid wasn't communicating and acted like he was very confused.

So i did. About 5 minutes later, before the cops arrived, a woman came screaming from a block away and came up to us (there were a few people watching the kid by now) just yelling at the woman who got the kid out of the street. It wasn't pretty. Mom looks like she needs a trip to rehab for meth, and, it turns out the kid was autistic. Dad shows up on the scene on a black harley looking straight out of Sons Of Anarchy. He sped off and that was the last i saw of him. The cops show up and it turns out that mom said the kid has a tendency to do these kinds of things, but it was never reported to the police. Basically if the kid is out by himself again, he will be taken to child protective services. The kid was released to the mom and she took him home.

So, my dilemma is did i do the right thing? Should we have waited for the mom, not called the police and let it go? Would the kid be any better off if he is removed from his parents? Would he be better off NOT being with his parents? Either way, it was an odd feeling. I'm sure i did the right thing to call, but just seeing what this kid is dealing with gave me the willies inside.

Would you have done the same?
  2. since197three

since197three

When you called the police no parents were in sight. Kid was wandering alone on a busy street I would think you did the right thing.

As for being concerned about the kid being taken from his parents, you might have saved his entire future. If he does that often lord knows what else is going on.
  3. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

You did the right thing I would say. CPS is often better than the home lives, even if it isn't ideal.
  4. gustobassman

Disclosures:
    That was my gut feeling as well. What got me was that you would've expected the mother to be thanking the woman that got the kid out of the street. All she did was yell and curse the poor lady out. It was a really weird scene to be involved in.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. neuman

neuman Supporting Member

You did the right thing; difficult and awkward though.
  7. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Personally, I don't get involved in disputes or situations involving families or couples that I don't know. I never know the whole story or background of what led up to the current situation. I'm only seeing a very small part of the picture which is what's happening at that very moment.

I'm not saying this applies to the OP's situation, but I've seen plenty of people sticking their nose where it doesn't belong thinking that they are helping when in reality they are not.
  8. gustobassman

Disclosures:
    That was my other "gut" feeling. When the lady was pleading me to call 911, my first thought was "should i really do this??". It was awkward and man, when i saw the dad (not a good idea to mess with anyone connected to a MC), i wanted out right away to be honest.
  9. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

You did the right thing. Often doing the right thing is the opposite of running the other way, or turning your head to look away.

lowsound
  10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

I think you did the right thing. You shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but if the two women didn't know each other and the second woman just started cussing out the first, it's probably a safe bet that the kid doesn't have a good home life to begin with.
  11. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I've seen it a few times where a parent will lose their kid or something, and instead of thanking the kind stranger for looking after their kid, they'll start screaming and throwing around words like 'kidnapper' and 'pedophile' in order to shift blame off of themselves.
    Really makes you wonder what else the parent gets up to when they're not in public.
  12. Rob22315

Rob22315

Thank you for doing the right thing!
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You done good.
  14. sjeverett

sjeverett

You did the right thing. Having dealt with cps quite a bit (not my kids, long story) It's safe to say it's pretty hard to lose your kids to the state. Even if they are removed from the family, if the parents "play the game" and say and do what the state wants to see and hear, they will get their kids back fairly quickly.
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    In my opinion, you acted correctly. I try to do what's right in my heart/mind, and not let the reactions of others affect how I feel about it.

-Mike
  16. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

You did the right thing.

You called the police when there was a child there with clear difficulties and no parent in sight. Even though the parents showed up, you didn't know that was going to happen when you phoned the police, so don't question that action retrospectively, you have to make a decision in the moment.

As far as the snippet into the parents, a child with psychological problems being loose and playing with the traffic and then parents who are busier shouting at the people that helped instead of thanking them and worrying about their kid . . . yeah, sounds like social services need to at least take a look at that home situation. That kid could have very easily been killed, remember that.
  17. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Absolutely did the right thing. My wife has had an analogous situation at the library; never was life-threatening, but also involved a special needs kid who needed close supervision and the mom (no dad involved) simply wouldn't provide it. If the kid is running out into traffic, someone needs to get the authorities involved, no matter how upset the mom gets.
  18. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

I'm not really sure why'd you be questioning yourself on this one.
  19. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

All that matters is that the child was in danger at that moment. There was no parent around. The police will assess the home situation and do what's right from there. If they deem the home life to be safe and mom just lost track of the kid while she was busy and then immediately went searching, they may leave the child at home pending CFS inspection. I doubt that the child is safe though if that's truly how the mother behaved. The cops will pick up on it.

Looking away from this situation would have been the wrong thing to do.
  20. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

You did the right thing
  21. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

You did the right thing. You cannot control what may come next for that child, but at that time, in that moment, in those circumstances your choice was correct.