1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Belated NBD: Bacchus PJ Woodline

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grand Moff Tim, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim

Alright, peeps. First thread, first NBD. Here goes nothin'.

I normally fiddle around on a five string Ibby BTB, but I recently joined a local sludge/doom band on bass, and they play in drop D so far. That gave me an excuse to get a 4 string to tune to drop D, and something more... aesthetically appropriate for a sludge/doom group.

What'd I end up with? Pics first, specs after the jump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Model: Bacchus Japan Handmade Series PJ Woodline Ash 4

Body: Two piece light ash
    Body Finish: Brown oil
    Neck: Maple
    Neck Finish: Satin lacquer
    Scale: 34"
    Fingerboard: Ebony
    Inlays: Pearloid blocks
    Neck binding: Pearloid
    Tuners: Gotoh GB11W
    Bridge: Bacchus DB
    Pickguard: Clear
    Pickups: Bacchus P/J set
    Electronics: V/V/T, flat tob chrome knobs.

Holy sh!t, you guys. I fvcking love this bass. I mean, look at the goddamned thing. Tell that isn't doom as fvck. It's DOOM AS FVCK. This thing is fvcking mint, and the crafstmanship is ridiculous. Given it's such a quality instrument made in Japan AND available for well under $2k, I'm honestly surprised you don't see more of these things around. There's also a cheaper import line made in the Philippines, which is interesting.

The satin finish on the neck is absurd. I know, I know, I sound like I'm being hyperbolic, but I just love it. When I first started playing it I thought there was talcum powder on the neck or something from being in storage (which of course makes no sense ), but nope. It's just that smooth. Smother than Billy Dee Williams selling you a cold malt liquor. It also has the tightest neck pocket I've ever seen. I'd probably struggle to cram a piece of tracing paper into the "gap."

I'm pretty surprised at how smooth the body finish feels, too. It's my first oiled finish guitar or bass, so I didn't really know what to expect. Happily, it feels great. Smooth, not sticky or rough anywhere, and it looks great on the ash body. Speaking of the ash, I'm pleased with how light the whole thing is. The Bacchus in its gig bag is certainly loads lighter than my BTB5 in its case, which weighs about seventeen thousand tons.

The fretwork, binding, and inlays are impeccable, as you can hopefully see in the sh!tty pics I took. The action was suitable out of the box, too, once I tuned it up. My little ladyfingers feel much more nimble on a 34" 4 string than my 35" 5 string, too, which makes me feel like I'm suddenly a much better bassist than I actually am .

The tuners are as solid and accurate as you can expect from Gotoh stuff. No complaints there. The bridge is a proprietary Bacchus two piece affair, and I honestly have no idea how to adjust it . I'm sure if I sat down with it for a bit to figure it out I'd be able to, but why do that when I could just play the damned thing? It seems stable enough so far, so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

The electronics are... I don't know, adequate? I'm pretty spoiled by the Nordstrands & 3-band active/passive EQ on my BTB, so I'm not really wowed by the OEM pups in this thing. I do enjoy finally having a bass with a P pickup, though (I've only had Js or soapbars so far). Gotta love that P-thump, or rolling back on the tone and playing some muted Jamerson-style lines. I'm sure I'll be more than fine with the OEMs for a while yet, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that I'll drop in some Nordstrands somewhere down the line.

Hmmmm. That was an awfully glowing review. I'd better think of something negative to say about it...

I'm used to the nice smooth rounded edges of my Nordy pups, so the hard edge/corner of the P-pup makes for a comparatively uncomfortable thumb rest. That counts as a criticism, right?

Aaaaaaanyways, yeah. This thing fvcking kills, and I can't believe I don't see more Bacchuses (that looks wrong no matter how I pluralized it) floating around on the webz. If you fellas get a chance to check one out, especially from the MiJ handmade series, do it.

2. Waksfly

Waksfly

I play bacchus right now and also owned a fender MIA. The Bacchus is built better. IMO IME

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

One of the nicest basses I've seen on talkbass.

4. mtdkingstonheir

mtdkingstonheir

That's one of the half dozen nicest basses I've ever seen on TB. Congratulations and keep on rockin' Do you mind if I ask how much you payed for it? Your bass has given me a bad case of G.A.S. Thanks for sharing.:p

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmverdugo

jmverdugo

Congratulations on your new bass!, may I bother you asking where did you buy it? Thanks!

7. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim

Not at all. I paid 1,780,000 KRW, which comes out to about $1,675. I don't really know what they go for in other countries, though.

8. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim

I don't know how useful it'll be to people outside of Korea, but I ordered it from this site:

http://basscollection.co.kr/

9. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind Supporting Member

Awesome dude I just put a jretro in mine