Belcat Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 6StringsOfFury, Apr 4, 2014.

1. 6StringsOfFury

6StringsOfFury

Disclosures:
    Owner, Talkback Audio Productions
    Hi everyone,

I've been looking at upgrading my pedal setup, as I'm currently using all Behringer, and I came across this pack of guitar pedals for a decent price: http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Belcat-Complete-Guitar-Pedal-Pack-and-Pedal-Board-Bag/MCP

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with these pedals on a bass guitar. Before anyone points it out, I'm aware that guitar pedals aren't great on a bass, but I personally don't mind if it says guitar or bass on the damn thing, provided it makes a good noise. So, once again, just wondering if anyone has any experiences of these specific pedals, or Belcat pedals in general, on bass guitars.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

I had the analogue delay. It was reviewed as 10/10 everywhere and people where comparing it to the Roland tape echo but it was just noisey and too dark and added loads of noise into the chain.

There is lots of middle ground between Behringer and buying new expensive stuff.
    Mooer, Digitech, Boss and EHX can all be found for good second hand prices. Concentrate on upgrading the things you use most first, that's what I did.
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I think you must have heard the saying "you get what you pay for". It doesn't make good sense to me to replace one set of low cost pedals with another - Iheartreverb's advice is good.
  4. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

+1. It took me about a month, but eventually I built myself a pedalboard with my absolute favorite example of each type of pedal I need. I spent a lot of time perusing the TB classifieds, but the board I have now is worth it. Don't cheap out and end up unhappy with your setup - get some good stuff at the beginning.
  5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1
    I wasn't going to post, because I have not tried the Belcats. But I really can't imagine the possibility that all -or even most- of the pedals in that package would sound any better than the Behringers they are replacing. They might be in nicer metal boxes, with true bypass, but is that enough of an upgrade to be worth sinking 200 pounds into?

For me, I'd rather spend that money on two GREAT pedals than a box full of disappointing ones, or even ones that are "just OK".
  6. 6StringsOfFury

6StringsOfFury

Disclosures:
    Owner, Talkback Audio Productions
    Thank you all for your replies! I'll just focus on what I need. Can any of you recommend any good distortion pedals? I'm looking for something that can give me good low gain grit, but also be really driven. Think Muse's "Hysteria" tone for the high gain end. I'm also looking for a decent bass synth pedal if anyone has any recommendations.
  7. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

For distortion there are hundreds of options. A very popular one right now is the source audio OFD. It has 2 presets and can do light drive to full on fuzz and everything between. The gated fuzz even sounds synthy. New they go for around $160. Not too many used ones out there because people hang on to them.

For a decent affordable synth pedal I used to use the Digitech bass synth wah, which also has an excellent octaver. You can grab one used for around $60.
  8. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

Not the person to ask about drives. Synth wise there are loads of really expensive elaborate options and even folks I know who work in guitar stores rate the Digitech options just as highly. I don't know about there but you can get there for £30 used in UK
  9. Feral Feline

Feral Feline

Check out the Dist/OD threads and pay attention to JohnK's comments, he's also got a website where he's tried and modified dozens upon dozens of pedals. Quite a few threads on Muse's "Hysteria" tone. There's so much out there in the way of distortion/OD ... You really need to refine your search and even then there are tons of options; try as many as you can in the shops, borrow from friends, trial swaps etc.

"Good" is subjective, though you've narrowed it down with the muse reference, low gain grit, and driven comments. I'm no connoisseur, but there are plenty on this board who are (JohnK, as mentioned). If you do your homework and read up, you can save some time in the long run by not trying/buying pedals that simply aren't going to come close to what you want.

Same goes for the synth stuff, you need to do your research. I wish I could be more helpful, but their's oodles of info on TB about distortion and synth. After you've narrowed it down a bit, if you've still some questions, start a new thread as you'll get better replies than having these two distinctly different topics buried in a thread about Belcat pedals.

Seek and yee shall find! Enjoy the journey...