1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Belvedere or Jack Casady?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 1stnamebassist, Nov 7, 2012.

1. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

So i'm considering a hollowbody, and I want some opinions on the J.C and Belvedere. Currently I play a 4003, but I find it a little on the heavy side. Love the sound though. Curiously I find the Epiphone Thunderbird more comfortable to play than the 4003! I don't know what the weight is but it seems less than the 4003 and I like the long reach on the neck. It just works for me. So I guess it comes down to neck feel between the two basses and also the sound and the quality of build. I play mostly classic rock, blues and Christian. I don't have the chance to try before I buy so it will be a buy and try deal. Any suggestions?
  2. woodyng

woodyng

The Lakland skyline is just about the ultimate ($) hollowbody. Or,for about half the price of that,,i can't say enough good things about the Italia Rimini.
    I found the Epi JC to be very uncomfortable,plus I prefer 2 pickup basses. I can't comment on the belvedere,never checked one out. In addition to the Rimini,Italia makes a number of really cool HB basses,and they seem to be made well. I also just sold a Danelectro Hodad bass which had a great sound,but i think the Italia is even better. I've owned several other hb bases over the years,and the lakland and the italia nail it for me. You will probably have to do a little work (setup,frets) on the Italia,tho.
    Also,if you find your 4003 uncomfortable and heavy,but like it,you should consider a 4004,they are usually lighter and way better ergonomics/feel.
  3. Wallace320

Wallace320

+1
    precious and pragmatic (at the very same time) piece of advice...

Cheers,
    Wallace
  4. JACink

JACink

Never had the chance to play (or even see in person) the Italia bass, but I love the look of them, especially the Rimini and the Torino!
  5. Michael Jewels

Michael Jewels

I've never played a Belvedere, so I can't comment on them.

I've had a Jack Casady bass for eleven years, and love it.

It's not functional at the moment, as the output jack shorted out, and all I'm getting is a loud hum when I plug it in.

But, this bass will give you some very nice tones.

To generalize its sound, it sounds somewhat like a hollow body Precision bass, but its pickup is not nearly as percussive as a P-bass pickup.

The three position tone switch will give you sounds from very mellow on the 50 setting, to a very harsh sound on the 500 setting. I usually play mine at the middle, 250 setting.

I partially agree with woodng, in that the Jackbass is not the most comfortable bass to play. I simply adjust how I hold my Jackbass when I play it, and it doesn't really bother me, however, if I play my Jackbass for a while, and then immediately pickup my Stingray, the 'Ray suddenly feels much more comfortable to hold. I guess this is an issue with most hollow body basses, as they usually have bigger bodies.

Here's a video review of a Jack Casady. It's a bit long at 25 minutes, but if you want to get straight to hearing what it sounds like, got to 12:00 on the clock.

This instrument sounds great, and the build quality is better than the Jack Casady in my opinion.

Both the Lakalnd and the Jackbass sound very good; which one you like better is your choice.

Good luck.

Mike
  6. iiipopes

iiipopes

Don't laugh: the Harmony reissue H22 bass. It has a pickup in the same position as the neck pickup of your 4001, a switchable in-line capacitor like on the treble pickup of a 4001; and with the tailpiece at the end pin, it uses regular strings, and sounds killer with a set of Fender 9050CL 45-60-80-105 strings. Upgrades from the original: glued instead of screwed neck, and real Gotoh mini-bass tuners instead of adapted guitar tuners. At most retailers for @$500.

The most famous riff known on the original of this bass is the original 1966-7 recording of the Spencer Davis Group, "Gimme Some Lovin'."
  7. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Epiphone Allen Woody
  8. woodyng

woodyng

Isn't the harmony a short scale bass? That would be a deal-breaker for me. I think the new Kay bass is also SS,it looks interesting,tho.
  9. iiipopes

iiipopes

Yes, the Harmony is short scale, but it takes regular scale strings and doesn't sound like a short scale. That's why I referenced the sound clip.
  10. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

Thanks for all the feedback! The Lakland is more than I am willing to spend at this time, though it looks like a really nice bass. Right now i'm leaning toward the JC bass. Another question I have is i've seen sellers on Ebay with great feedback selling refurbished basses at pretty good discounts. Has anyone had any experience with this, or know anybody who has? I don't know anything about it. I've never bought a bass on Ebay before. I certainly don't want to get ripped off!
  11. Wallace320

Wallace320

Two pickup attack and plenty of lowend and fundamental!

Cheers,
    Wallace
  12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

My Casady was bought as a damaged bass because the fretboard had come loose over a 2-inch area near the top of the board. Superglue and clamping fixed that overnight, and I saved about $200 on the bass.

I wouldn't balk at a refurb bass provided I had a return option and a reasonable test period (at least a week) to determine whether a return was needed. Most refurbs are just correcting minor production problems that don't affect the instrument much. I also wouldn't worry much about a minor problem I could fix (like the fretboard issue.)

I really like the Casady - but it is a big bass, and if you're small in stature it may be too big for comfort. But the sound (especially with flatwounds) is super!!
  13. BassPlayer3187

BassPlayer3187

I recently purchased a Gretsch Electromatic hollowbody bass. I love the feel, look, and tone of it. It is pretty light, especially compared to a solid body. It is a short scale but it takes regular strings and doesn't look or feel like a short scale. I choose this over the J.C. and don't regret it at all! It's a great bass at a reasonable price.
  14. GM60466

GM60466

Jack here!
  15. woodyng

woodyng

In the last 10-12 years,I have purchased almost every bass i've owned online(ebay,MF,TB,etc). It's best to ask pertinent questions of the seller upfront about condition,playability,or whatever you can think of. I have not had to return anything yet,so that's good! You should check out the ads here on talkbass as well,there is almost always something interesting for sale. Good luck!
    Edit..there is in fact a gold JC for sale on there right now.....
  16. pbass2

pbass2

I had one briefly and it did sound killer (had Chromes on mine) but I did in fact find it ergonomically weird when standing. Sitting was fine. I'm a scrawny little guy and it just didn't hang right on me(and was kinda neck dive-y to boot). Great sound though, and bad-ass looking(I had the black one).
  17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Here's my Casady gold top...I'm a bit under 5'9" and it's a good-sized body. If you get one, get the Epi hard case for it - it's a large case. The varitone selector gives it some interesting sound variations, and I'm one that usually doesn't notice much variation in the sound between pickups.

[​IMG]

I haven't played the DiPinto but I have to admit it looks really cool. But then, I have a jones for pearloid......
  18. wilfred

wilfred

Go for the Jack Casady!
  19. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

it can be yours!!
  20. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

I have never played a Jack Cassidy but have heard they are really good basses.. as for the Belvedere I have a Belvedere Deluxe and I can tell you this it is light, well built and if you can get one ..GET ONE these things are AWESOME ..the tone is incredible neck is comfy very deep woody tones and I hear with Flats they sound very retro.. if you go to the Dipinto club one of the bassists put a sound clip up of some studio work he did.. really really good stuff with these.. not to many people I am finding have tried them but these are KEEPERS..