Ben Allison on music piracy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Media:
    Nice. And extra nice because of a congressman who had something thoughtful to say:

I'm personally at a loss to explain what's going on with the business these days. In some ways it erodes my faith in human nature because stealing IP has more or less become the norm. On the other hand, it also strengthens my faith in the same because people continue to make great music, continue to write great books, and on down the line to other arts that are being "eroded" in this way. Big can o' worms.

3. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Gold Supporting Member

Media:
  4. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

I have a dangerous "let the chips fall where they may" attitude when it comes to a lot of things (Which may change when I have kids, you never know). This includes IP. I think I'm over it. I know there are wonderful and worthwhile things/ideas that have been propagated via the current model (I'm thinking how sorry I feel that people might pirate Ed's book, for instance), but I think we are going to transition into a new perspective on information. I'm curious to see if all the nonsense commercial music evaporates when there's no money left to be made in recordings. Maybe there will be an overall psychic improvement for everyone.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    You spend years and years cultivating radio and the idea that one can listen to music on the radio for free and now you want people to just snap out if it? How's that possible?

7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

When the history books are written, this era will be looked at as one of great growing pains. The internet has changed the way we do nearly everything, and I think it's just begun. So it's no surprise that many industries are still trying to find their place in the new reality. But throughout history, change has been inevitable, and those businesses that could adapt, survived, while those that clung stubbornly to older models did not.

I applaud Ben Allison for taking a stand for musician's rights. He is correct in framing the issue as one of "consciousness raising", since any restrictions on the flow of information will always, inevitably, become unenforcable. For every safegard they build in, some hacker will find a way to defeat it.

But I think it's also incumbent upon we musicians to find a way to make the new reality work for us. I don't really know how that will happen, but I foresee a future in which recordings are seen more as promotional, with the money in performance and licensing.

Before you flame, let me be clear: I'm not saying I like it. I'm saying it's 2012, not 1982, and this is the new reality in which we have to operate.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  9. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tim-westergren/unlock-the-potential-of-i_b_1720504.html

10. gricko

gricko

decline in musical industry of today is not to be blamed only on internet and digital downloads.
    digital revolution also happened in the field of musical instruments and recording devices rendering big studios and session musicians thing of the past.
    big blame also goes to record labels for shifting the focus from an artist to to a song. result being the audience investing both finances and emotion in songs and not artist. itunes selling songs instead of albums is result of labels promoting songs not vice versa.
    and finally - let's not forget the enormous rise of price for concert tickets.

all things mentioned have deep roots in the last decade of 20th century and can not be blamed only on digital download.

illegal IP download in itself is not new thing. there was CD-R before download and compact cassette before CD-Rs. and music industry was not suffering as much as it is today.
    reason for decline is much deeper and multi-layered.

11. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

I shan't flame; I think you're quite right. I'm not quite so sure about recordings becoming purely promotional tools - though I admit it's a distinct possibility - but I agree otherwise. There's a question of how we protect musicians from being shafted, be it by pirates or legitimate companies, but also, at this level, the more pressing question of how the hell I'm supposed to make some money from my music with the current situation!

12. damonsmith

damonsmith

Yeah, the situation is harder in terms of not just making money but paying for a decent recording of your music. I got a $60 royalty check the other day and it felt like a huge event.
    At the same time, as I have said before at a certain point, you can't shut the barn door after the horse is gone.
    Albums made after a certain point are put out into this world - where downloading exists.
    If you make an album now you are giving implicit permission for it to be downloaded for free. You don't like that? Don't make an album.
    I still pay for music, I still have listeners pay me for music. The scale has changed - wider distribution, less money.
    We can cry about it or figure out how to deal and get on with our music.