Ben Lindsey Custom Precision Incoming!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tendollarcat, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Tendollarcat

Tendollarcat

Over the years I have been a pretty tragic acquirer of hyped up basses here on TB :) I'd love to say this all changed because I got smarter but the reality is it all changed due to the arrival of m daughter a couple of years ago. Disposable income was gone and I needed to find a bass that would suit me for all gigs and recording.

I contacted Ben Lindsey and wasn't really expecting much different to other custom builds I had ordered. Some had been great, some had been average. I sort of expected Ben to be similar - somewhere in the middle. What surprised me was how into the build Ben was. He dug the idea of the bass, communicated with me a lot and just seemed to have an air of positivity and passion right through the build. So when my first bass was ready, I just knew that I really liked Ben as a person and really hoped the bass would turn out well.

I didn't really post a honeymoon review type thing here. I probably should have. I've now had my Lindsey bass for almost two years and have used it on every gig, recording and rehearsal since. It's the best bass I have ever owned and I'm trying to remember if I have even played anything as good. Other players have tried it out and the response is pretty much the same - it's just a killer precision. This is Lindsey bass one -

[​IMG]

So a couple of years have passed and I started to panic about only having one bass. What if something happened to it? All of that sort of stuff. I immediately knew I wanted a second Lindsey and started chatting to Ben again. Due to being based in Australia, I've never met the guy in person and our communication is via email but I consider Ben a friend and an insanely knowledgable builder. We talked as friends and Ben even steered me away from a hair brained idea I had initially :)

Just to underline the only frustrating thing about guys like Ben. He's a one man shop. He's always busy. He builds these amazing basses (and guitars), takes really nice photos of them and just does so to keep his customers in the loop. Its part of his service. He has no single online location where you can see all of his work. He makes the build exciting and fun - and he's fast. In saying all of that, his web presence sucks. To get an indication of his work (which is extensive) do a search here or email him directly at madisonsmusicstore@yahoo.com

I'm a precision guy. Ben and I talked and we agreed that the perfect addition for me is another precision that is the alter ego of my 57P. Since my last build, Ben has refined his techniques. He now makes necks by hand, winds his own pickups and as always, does all finishing and every other detail end to end. This is what Ben has just completed for me -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ben deserves every success in my opinion. He's just a good, low bs guy with a huge talent for building basses and he's never really had the time or capacity to heavily promote what he does. That's the point of this post. I hope people check out his work and consider him for future builds. I haven't founder a better builder of a Pbass after years of searching and I know he's had similar reactions to his other work.
  2. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

that looks great. thank you for posting! what types of finishes does. nitro vs poly?
  3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

A low BS luthier who's too busy to self-promote is an extremely valuable resource. I too have had mixed results with customs from builders hyped on TB and like you, choose not to name-drop. A good, knowledgeable luthier is like a good doctor - always busy, and their results speak for themselves. Nice pair of precisions - enjoy them in good health!
  4. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Lindsey Basses - crafter of XBass cables
    That CAR is a beauty! I'll second your recommendation of Ben's Basses. He's done a fair amount of work for me (currently doing a mod and refinish on one of my P-Js) and I recently received this take on a Mustang Bass. We talked this through for a couple of months, and then off he went! His enthusiasm and professionalism is amazing.

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, my endorser status is non-compensated, just a measure of respect for the builder.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tendollarcat

Tendollarcat

No worries! Ben's first build for me was a very thin nitro. I think he offers both as an option.
  7. Tendollarcat

Tendollarcat

Thanks very much. I think your doctor analogy is spot on.
  8. Tendollarcat

Tendollarcat

I often visit your Mustang build thread ExaltBass! I think it's an excellent example of the amount of work that goes into building a great bass.
  9. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

The build thread of your bass was my introduction to Ben's excellent work. I'd forgotten how magnificent the headstock is. It's reminiscent of a fine cut of marble!
  10. ExaltBass

Disclosures:
    And the picture doesn't do justice to the beauty.
  11. ExaltBass

Disclosures:
    Here's my stable... Ben was involved with 6 of 8

[​IMG]

L-R:

Chevy Bass - Ben took the pigs ear and turned it into a sexy BEAD beauty

Joiner P-J - finish by Ben

'59 P-Bass - Ben restored the neck into the best neck EVER! My first project with Ben.

Sigma - No Ben work... yet

The Stang - A dream fulfilled in reality by Ben

The Fendowsky - currently at Ben's for a rear route mod and refinish to Shoreline Gold... thread will follow...

Joiner Fretless - paint by Ben. I asked him for something outrageous in the orange family. He hit a grand slam.

'97 Warrior - not a Ben candidate... perfect as is.
  12. Tendollarcat

Tendollarcat

That is awesome!!!
  13. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Just shot him an email. Interested in having him do a sherwood green nitro refinish of my 62 AVRI (along with a J route)!
  14. Tendollarcat

Tendollarcat

Good choice! Sherwood Green is killer man. I've always wanted a bass with that finish.
  15. brett7276

brett7276 Supporting Member

I have to chime in on this thread- Ben is an amazing builder and one of the most together people I have ever met- customer service second to none. To date he has built me 4 basses. The first I contracted was a 65 jazz bass replica in daphne blue- but i wanted some custom touches like ebony board, active electronics- he nailed it a bass that feels and looks lIke the real deal- but is gig friendly for me- I quickly ordered another in red...and later he built a seafoam green 66 copy dot and bound that was also amazing - the big project he took on was a special personal favor build that, I know he didnt really have the time to do- a bass I designed to incorporate some of the features of my favorite basses into one bass. The build quality was exceptional- right up there with Spector,smith and fodera - and Ben even personally delivered the bass to my home-more recently he sent me the prototype of his new jazz bass std line- its exceptional- standing up to the big boys of the boutique jazz inspirired basses (avella,sadowsky etc).....anyway I can't say enough good things about Ben- I feel privileged to call him a friend and one of the best basses I've ever owened (and won't ever sell- and I sell a lot ) was a result of a simple..."how much would it cost if?" phone call
  16. Tendollarcat

Tendollarcat

Would love to see some pics if you had some handy Brett. I figure its always interesting to see the different instruments Ben has built.

Actually, if there are any other Lindsey players out there, feel free to post a pic!
  17. ExaltBass

Disclosures:
    I get the Jazz next! I'll be bringing it to the MN TB GTG in February.

He just sent me a pic of the bass he's doing for me now (The Fendowsky) after wet sanding... am I psyched? Heck Yeah!
  18. ExaltBass

Disclosures:
    My P-J to the left in my pic above is Ben's Sherwood Green. Good choice!

[​IMG]