Benefits of tightening outer screws on P pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Martin89, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    I've seen this on a few basses in stores and YouTube and was wondering what the school of thought was on this. What's the point? Aesthetics? Is it similar to a radiused pickup?
  2. aproud1

aproud1 Lost time is not found again. Gold Supporting Member

Adjusting pickup height?
  3. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    It essentially bumps the mid-range. Highlighting the A & D strings.
  4. wshines1892

wshines1892

It's a radius meant to compensate for the radius of the bridge relative to the fret board. Keeps output from the middle two strings from being weaker than the outer lower strings. They ship from factory setup like that now days, sometimes way overdone though. There's no reason they should form a sharp V, that's just silly.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

When adjusting P pups...let your ears, not your eyes, be the guide.
  7. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

Agree with the posts above. That way the pickup follows the neck radius - cause you noticed your neck is not flat, right? It allows a more even string to string balance. New PBasses seem to come with an excess V shape. Use your ears as the pickup height also depends on your string action.
  8. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    That all makes sense. I've seen some really drastic ones that I don't think would serve a purpose. Like 5 position E string would be a bit quieter than open A. The goal would be to match those levels and 5 position D with open G, right? Or maybe 5th position D slightly louder than open G because that makes sense acoustically?
  9. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

While it still a V shape, you may want to have the G string side a tiny bit higher than the E string. The same way on a Jazz Bass the neck pickup is slightly higher under the G string