Bent end pin - my attempt

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Hi all

attached is my attempt at a rudimentary bent end pin, a la Rabbath, without the drilling - is this what it is supposed to look like? I am just experimenting to see if it is worth getting the proper end pin installed...Also, with this, does the bass lean on your shoulder when you play?

Thanks for reading!

Attached Files:

2. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Looks like it points into the wrong direction.
    I think it should point towards the back side, not the top.
  3. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

I was just reading a thread the other day with a picture of a Czech travel bass--didn't get the name--where the tip of the end pin ended up where this one is. It was installed in a new hole in the bottom, angled forward.
    I don't play seated enough to know, but wanted to mention that.
    I'd worry about balance with a bent pin--one more angle to get muscle-memorized... But I'm not hating on your prototype.
    What is your goal?
  4. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

+1

It definitely points in the wrong direction.

When you're playing in thumb position, yes. Otherwise, it kind of leans against your upper torso, or floats out away from your body sometimes depending on how you're playing. That's just my experience; Rabbath describes how it 'should' be much better. I'd recommend looking at the Rabbath DVDs, the books, and looking around on YouTube for videos demonstrating the technique.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RCWilliams

RCWilliams Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner KCNC Production and Design
    you may have difficulty keeping your pin pointed the way you want, as it is going to want to rotate to the position of least resistance or more or less as it is in your photo. once you have a position you like and a height you like I suggest you file a flat or dirll a dimple in the part of the shaft where the set screw will seat on it, otherwise it will tend to go astray. one nice thing about doing it like you ae is that you can set it up to rotate to the most comfortable playing position for you.

Good luck.
  7. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Thanks all - the aim/goal was just to try and see if the bent pin has any merit, hence the reason for the home made remedy..RCW, yes, that's a good suggestion, and if I decide to go down this path, I'll certainly keep in mind, together with a rubber tip!
  8. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    +1. Also, I'd put the bend up close to the socket. The way you have it you're going to increase stress on the bottom block and have less of the balance transfer effect you seek.