Bent neck, help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_Lucek, Mar 23, 2014.

1. The_Lucek

The_Lucek

I'm still at entry level equipment and have an ibanez gio180. The cheapest of the bunch. And about half a year ago it started to have extreme fret buzz from 6th till 12th fret. I've adjusted the action to super high just to get rid of the buzz but it's still there. When you look down the side of the fretboard, from the body to the head, the tips of the frets make an "s". Where the first tip of the curves is at 5th and second at 12th fret. Is there a way to fix this or is it time for a new neck(or bass). Hope that i explained it good enough.
  2. tmdazed

tmdazed

truss rod adjustment? you dont really explain if it jogs side to side or if it is bowed like like a recurve bow ? if is back bowed a truss rod adjustment will do the trick , if the neck is hockey sticked cant help you there .

here is a quick vid on basic truss rod adjusting

3. The_Lucek

The_Lucek

Ok, lets try again. From the nut till the 12th fret it's bowed, but from then till the end of the neck it is reverse bowed? :confused: And because of that everything I play from the 5th fret up is filled with buzz. When i try to see if the action is good, and press the string down at first fret and last one there is about 5mm of clearence between the string and 7th fret, but when i pluck the string like that it is unable to "sing" because it's touching 15, 16, 17, ..., 21th fret(or witchever is the last one). I'm guessing that I'm screwed. :banghead:
  4. David Jayne

David Jayne

If your frets have enough meat on them a tech MIGHT be able to dress them back down to level. If not it will require a fingerboard leveling and re fret. Unfortunately this may cost more than the value of the bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. The_Lucek

The_Lucek

Thank you for the reply. At least there is some hope. Really appreciate it. :beer:
  7. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

If you are under warranty, I'm fairly certain this would be covered. If not, best of luck to you.
  8. dazmond

dazmond

What tuning+guage of strings are you using? I have an old rockbass corvette 4 string that I think has the same problem as yours, but not as bad. I'm using .65-.125 SS for tuning in C. Lots of tension, I'm thinking maybe it's a bit too much for that. particular neck. I've done it to others basses with no problems.
  9. The_Lucek

The_Lucek

So ok. The gauge was the same. The one I got with the bass. And since the tech told me there was practically no hope, and that the fret board thing was to expencive I had given up. And since then I played a friends guitar instead. But today, I dusted of the black one and it was like seeing your girlfriend after a long long time. Instant boner. XD just kidding, but i had a stroke of genius. Well not genius but an idea for sure. So i did it, i screwed out just a tiny bit of a turn, the screws that hold the neck and body together. Just the ones closer to the head. And it got better. The low e did sound strange but the neck did seem better aligned. Though with sky high action but with adjusting it may fix the problem. And then i got sacred i may fu*k the thing even further and returned it to the previous state. So I'm asking you, bass techs. Is this safe? And if not, can i sand down the area of the neck that is touching the body at an angle by just a bit, not even a mm, to rotate the neck forward.