Bent tone knob on Ibanez SDGR

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fadedsun, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Fadedsun

Fadedsun

Hey guys,

First time posting here. I did a lot of Google research before deciding to register and post here and couldn't find much useful information regarding this. There are 4 knobs total on my active bass. Two of them have tiny knobs on top of the bigger ones. I think they might adjust treble and mids. I'm not really sure, to be honest. A long time ago one of the smaller ones got bent (making the knobs kind of operate as one now because they both move together since it's so tight), and I have no idea if this is just as simple as taking the knob off and bending part of it back straight, or if I have to buy a completely new knob.

I took my bass to a shop a long time ago and the guy told me he would have to special order a knob for me and it would be really expensive to fix, but I wasn't sure if he was trying to take advantage since I don't really know.

2. jeffmensch

jeffmensch Supporting Member Supporting Member

You can loosen the set screw using an Allen and then remove the knob. The pot shafts are typically made from aluminum which is easy to bend. Just be careful when bending it back and then replace the knob. If it ends up snapping on you, a replacement can be ordered directly from Ibanez.

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

This^.

My experience is that chances of it snapping are HIGH, but definitely not certain! And if it snaps you'll need a new control (the part inside the bass on the other end of the shafts). Since this is a stacked pot (two controls in one) it will have to come as an Ibanez part. And even worse, many Ibanez have printed circuit pots that are soldered into a circuit board inside the cavity.

What the repair guy was likely saying is that he'd have to order a whole CONTROL for you (does not need to order a knob) and it would be a lot of work to install. Unfortunately this may be correct.

Look in the cavity. Does the pot (actually it's two in a stack) have wires going to it or does it have long pins going into a board? If it's wires, you are home free, when you get the new pot make a drawing of where each wire goes and solder in the new pot. If it is the circuit board type, no soldering noob should be attempting the repair! The board can easily be damaged and that is a VERY serious thing. In that case bite the bullet and take the bass (and your part if you bought it) to someone with the skilz to install it.

4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Loosen the allen screw on the lower knob and see if you can get the knob to set a little closer to the body- then re-tighten it. Loosen the allen screw on the top knob and see if you can move it up just a little and still get it to re-tighten on the shaft.
    If that works, and the knobs no longer drag on each other, you've saved yourself the possibilities 'bassbenj' posted- very good info, BTW.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fadedsun

Fadedsun

Thanks for the all the valuable info, guys. I tried to loosen the knobs with my allen wrenches, but for some reason my two smallest wrenches don't fit. Seems like I need a size in between 3/64 and 1/16. Not sure if such a size exists since I have a pretty standard allen wrench set. Also, I know that my knobs are wired from having to open up the back of my bass to change the battery, so that's a plus. Though, I wouldn't attempt any soldering on my own if it needed to be done anyway.

7. David Jayne

David Jayne

It's probably metric. 1.27 or 1.5MM

8. JustForSport

JustForSport

+1 - metric.
    Would be a good idea to get a good set of metric hex keys, as the saddles and prob the trussrod use them also.

9. Fadedsun

Fadedsun

Got it. Just placed an order for them. Thanks everyone.

10. Fadedsun

Fadedsun

Hey guys. I got the hex key set and took off the pot of the knob. I wanted to post a picture to show you guys the amount of damage. It seems pretty sturdy. If I were to attempt to bend it back, what should I use? Would a pair of pliers be okay?

[​IMG]

11. JustForSport

JustForSport

Bending aluminum back (after it's bent once) is risky- May break off.
    Take off the control plate to see if there's a PC board attached to the pot or not.
    If there is, refer to post #3.
    If not (not likely) then you're only looking at a pot replacement if it breaks.
    Personally, I'd give it a 90% chance of breaking, even if you were to try to bend it back only half-way. Just IMO.