1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Berg AE410 vs. Genz Benz Uber 410

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jefe, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Jefe

Jefe

This question is primarily for people who have heard the Uber 410. I am familiar with the tonal profile of the AE410.
    However I am not very familiar with the Uber 410, but I have read good things.
    Anyone care to chime in on what the Uber does better/differently etc. than the AE410?

Thanks!!
  2. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

I seem to remember some time back Tom Bowlus had a nice writeup in this forum comparing them.
  3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I remember that. Maybe Tom can post a link to that if he sees this thread.
  4. Jefe

Jefe

Guess I should of done a search first :D. I'll give that a shot.
  5. vision

vision Supporting Member

I found Tom's review:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7654934

6. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Excellent. Thanks vision. I too am familiar with the tonal profile of the AE410, have owned the Epi UL-410, and have not had the pleasure yet of trying out the Uber 410. Texas Music Emporium in Houston sold three Uber 410's this last week and is out but should get more in the next couple weeks. I've heard their sound is extremely solid with a nice growl and punch to it. KsPiNeSh has a link posted in another thread to an excellent recording of his Uber 410 with his band; very impressive with a hard hitting rock sound. It really gives you a good feel of what that cab is capable of. I'm definitely going to check out one of these brutes but because of the 72 lb weight I'd like to also know where the SWR Golight 410 fits in this group.

I've seen it written that the Golight 410 has a tight contolled low end like the AE410 but bigger and that the crossover and tweeter are smoother and improved from the Goliath III, also that the mids aren't really scooped but depend a lot on the amp and bass being used. Bergantino and Genz Benz both have top notch construction and voicing, and priced accordingly. If the lows are tight but full and the highs are detailed and smooth then the magic is in the mid voicing.

I like the AE410 voicing but wish it was a tad bigger in the lows. My testing was with a Shuttle Max 12.0 when A/B'd with an Uber 212T. Perhaps my impression would have been a little different with a Shuttle 9.0. I don't doubt that the Uber 410T will blow me away but I'd rather move a 56 or 62 lb cabinet up and down 15 steps than a 72 lb one (a consideration for the 55+ crowd). The AE410 and Uber 410T look like best in class 410 choices depending on the voice you're looking for. I'm wondering if the SWR Golight 410 sound falls somewhere between these two and can it hang with these bad boys? If so, then the $899 price tag and 56 lb weight might make it worth a test drive as well.
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thanks for getting my back, Jason! :D