1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Berg IP310/Alembic F-1X Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SonicBlueJoe, Mar 5, 2014.

1. SonicBlueJoe

SonicBlueJoe Supporting Member

I just got the IP. Plugged bass str8 into the unit, works as it should. Hooked up Alembic, Begie input cord from unit into Full Range Input in the back of the Alembic. Got loud buzzzzz, random snap crackle and pop. Ugly, well beyond unusable. Even before bass plugged into the Alembic. Moved the Bergie cable plug into the "High Pass" in the "Crossover" input section in the back of the Alembic, with the same result. Moved it last into the "Low Pass" input in the "Crossover" input section in the back of the Alembic. Quiet as a church mouse. Plugged in the bass, pure thunder. Clear. Loud. OMG articulate, loud, no clipping on my low B. Exactly what I hoped for.

What gives? Normal result? Or issues with my Alembic that I need to look into?

2. chadds

chadds

Seems like the Alembic has issues. However have you used those outputs with another power amp?

The effects you're describing don't seem eq. based. You must keep your pre amps lows down and bring up to taste. Because of the IP's DSP, less is more. Same with your bass's eq. IPs can sound ugly with too much bass eq.

Yet the effects you describe seem electrical in nature. The IP cable could be intermittently bad. Try a different pre. Tap the unit or remove lid and tap the 12ax7. Perhaps something is moving every time you plug & unplug.

3. chadds

chadds

I reread your post. If you plugged your bass into the IP then you plugged the Berg cable 1/4" into your bass and used an XLR to XLR mic cable from it to go to the IP. then your Berg cable may be fine.

Is the Alembic new to you too? My suggestion is try it into a different amp and try another pre into the IP.

Just viewed the rear panel. The buzz snap crackle is probably a poor connection. Try a different 1/4" and unplug a few times to see if the internal jacks are corroded. Again you may be able to see this with lid off. The low pass output may not be corroded.

4. SonicBlueJoe

Thanks very much for the feedback. The Alembic has been sitting in a rack unused for quite some time. It is definitely an older unit, although how old I have no idea, so some of the basic issues that you suggest may indeed be the answer. It worked perfectly well with the Stewart 1.2 I have through the Full Range input, but that was well over a year ago. I'll troubleshoot as you suggest and see if I can narrow it down. Don't have another preamp to try, but I don't really think the issue is with the IP. Thanks again for your suggestions.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I would guess just a tube that needs re-seating.

7. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

The F-1X is known for developing corrosion (over time) on a contact in the effects loop jack. The result is no sound or intermittent sound when nothing is connected to the effects loop. Try plugging a short 1/4" shielded cable into the effect send and return jacks. If it fixes the problem that's what it was, and it just needs to have the contact in the effects loop cleaned.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A little Caig DeOxit in the jacks might help.

9. chadds

chadds

You're so welcome!

10. SonicBlueJoe

I think chadds nailed it for me. Set up the Alembic through the Stewart 2.1 into GB 2x12 (with a 1/4 Monster Cable plug that seems to fit more snuggly than the one supplied with IP). No issues, clean sound. Ok, so hooked back to the IP, and noise from the full range input no longer there. Took it on to rehearsal, and still had some random intermittent unacceptable noise, but mostly, just the IP fun I was hoping for. Those jacks on the back of the Alembic just need some love.

Not sure if this is my issue, but will try nonetheless. Just jacking the jacks with some plugs seemed to clear up my issues. Kinda of embarrassed I didn't realize the Alembic just needed some TLC after sitting on the shelf for so long.

Good idea, I'll star there. Thanks Y'all.

11. chadds

chadds

Without upsetting anyone :) the Monster has larger dimensions than most 1/4" plugs. You may want to lightly bend that jack in while cleaning it.

12. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    I've put a digital caliper on several Neutrik plugs and several Monster plugs and found this to be false.

13. chadds

chadds

To not go off topic but for a second my last comparison was 10 years ago.

Since you measured and compared the plugs in your possession I have to trust your research on those plugs. I do remember monster in those days having different ends depending on the model. Again 10 years ago.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

14. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
  15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That jives with my recollection, as well. Some were thicker, some were not.

16. SonicBlueJoe

FWIW, the Monster Cable I used was probably 5 years old or so. For whatever reason, it certainly seemed to make a better connection in the back of the preamp.

So I did pop the cover cleaned up the jacks with Deoxit. When I pulled it from the rack, I also heard something rattling around inside, and did indeed find a screw had come loose from the base holding some of the internal components. I put that back where it belongs. Noise issues resolved, works like it should.

Discovered that the unit had a Mesa tube. Meh. Got a Sylvania and Tung Sol 5751's on the way to play with.

Thanks again for the assistance. :)