1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bergantino Cabs??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cv115505, Nov 25, 2012.

1. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    Looking into getting the Bergantino NV 6X10 or the 4X12 cab to go with my Genz 750... any thoughts on these... benefits, known issues, comparison with other companies etc.?

2. Alexander

Alexander

Check out the Bergantino mega-thread - lots of good info. I have the NV412 and it's awesome. Built well, plenty loud and great tone. Sealed vibe, so has a pretty tight low end that sits well in the mix - very fundamental tone. Seems most people like the NV cabs with tube amps or tubey hybrid/solid state. The sealed design keeps that low end bloom in check. Great customer service too!

Good luck!

3. cv115505

Disclosures:
    Thanks... this may be a pretty fundamental question, but I've used 10s my whole life... Is there really any huge difference between 10s and 12s?

4. Alexander

Alexander

I found the NV610 to be a bit more mid-punchy while the NV412 went a bit lower and was more even sounding overall. I can see why folks would like both.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rodl2005

rodl2005

+1
    There really ain't much that can go wrong with em either. Built like tanks & go boom like em too

7. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

You're also dealing with some of the best service in the business bar none, Jim is class all the way.

8. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Never tried the 412, but I own and love the old 215 and the 610. I would think the 412 would be the perfect cab for a powerful tube amp. If you like the Ampeg fridge you will like the 610.

9. rodl2005

rodl2005

Forgot to say......
    I've owned 3 of the Bergantino NV cabs.
    Firstly a NV610, then a NV215, & sadly I sold both. Realised I shouldn't've & luckily found a NV412, (they ain't numerous around these parts).
    The 610's very punchy & was a li'l tight for my tonal goals, but gee I wouldn't mind if I only had it.
    The 215 is right up my alley & the 412 is in-between.
    Both I'd be completely happy with.

10. Alexander

Alexander

I'd sure like to try an NV215, but haven't seen one come up used. I'm hoping Jim does a reissue. The 412 isn't going anywhere tho...

11. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Just saw an NV610 for a very good price, with cover, on Bass Northwest's site.

12. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny Supporting Member

Sadly I just sold my NV610. Great cab, but the reality was that it was too much cab for any small place we played and every bigger place we played had a house system including floor monitors. In both settings my smaller, easier-to-transport, great sounding HT/EX rig was the better, easier choice.

13. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

One NV cabinet that isn't talked about, is the NV425 ... 3-10's & 15 it sounds like a little like 215 & 610 ...the cab kinda leans towards the Hi-Fi type of sound, with just a little punch from the 3-10's ... kinda wish I didn't sell it ... I did have the NV412 and the NV610 at the same time and I found that I liked the tightness/punchyness of the 610, the NV412 is somewhat a little deeper sounding than the NV610 .... one thing that isn't talked about, the NV cabs are a pretty efficient cab

14. Tim1

Tim1

Rod, I am a bit like you in that I sold my NV610 and rather wish I hadn't, although the NV215 was getting all the work ahead of it. Fortunately I still have the NV215 which really is a great match with my Fender Super Bassman 300. I keep on eyeing that 410 though.... Realistically these days I ain't going to be going out with two NV cabs any more :crying: but that 412 still looks tempting. I can't get to trial one over here in kiwiland so I would have to buy one blind/deaf. I have no doubt that like all Jim's cabs it sounds fabulous, but common sense tells me I probably would still go to the 215 as first call cab. I like that the 215 goes deep and tight with a natural top end from the 6" speaker. Suits my style (60s, 70s 80s blues/rock/soul). What's your take on the difference between the two, I sense from comments that the 412 is voiced towards a hard rock style but of course not limited to that.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I listened to an NV610 at BSD when a customer came in to buy it last week. He played a Ric of some sort through a TH500, and he got some really nice growl through it. While it can get a tight sound, I thought it captured a decent vintage sound, too. I think it has a lot to do with the amp. A DB750 would probably kill through that cab.

16. shoot-r

shoot-r

+1!!!!

I'd really like to hear a NV215.

Was Berg's the only commerically built, sealed, 215 cabinet available?

17. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

I have the NV610 and DB750. Killer all the way. While the NV610 is heavy it is easy to move around with the built in casters. In fact the DB750 gives me more trouble moving than the 610. I'm not a spring chicken either, just turned 62 and the NV610 isn't going anywhere soon. It has a manageable foot print as well, so it doesn't take up that much stage floor space.

18. chadds

chadds

It's interesting how the tilt backs you rarely have to lift. The 3x10/4x10/2x12 twice as much and the 1x12 always.;)

19. Loki182

Loki182 Soundtrack '96

I bought it last week, they haven't updated their site yet :)

I should receive it on Thursday:hyper:

20. PauBass

PauBass

I completely agree with you.

Right now I have both cabs and I have to say I like both a lot!
    .... But I have been testing them side by side, on their own and with the band and my impression is that both are great sounding cabs but I found the 610 had a much thinner sound whilst the sound of the 412 was more full on, a bigger sound if that makes sense.
    Both cut through a mix well but for me, and my band mates too, the winner by far is the NV412!
    I also found that with a bit of EQ on your amp you can make the 412 sound similar to the 610 but you won't get the big full on sound of the 412 out the 610.

Anyway, both cabs are great and you won't be disappointed with the NV610, it's an awesome cab!

21. cv115505

Disclosures:
    I love that you're from Pittsburgh (im from wheeling originally) but i hate that you bought that cab. I called literally the day after you bought it! :crying: Oh well, congrats on a good buy!