Bergantino CN112 or Aguilar SL112

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Alper Yilmaz, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Alper Yilmaz

Alper Yilmaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Erkan Sizarlar Custom Basses
    Hi,

I am a long fan of Bergantino cabs; I have their IP12, HT112, and a pair of AE112's (which were just stolen). I used to have an AE212 as well, but I sold it recently, as I had left it in my Brooklyn apartment and have not used it at all after moving to Istanbul.

Anyway, as I mentioned above, my two AE112's were stolen the other night from my roadie's mini van. Most probably, they will be found soon, since I am pretty much the only Bergantino owner in Turkey and therefore they cannot sell them to anyone easily without tearing them apart. Yet, in case that they are not recovered by the cops, I am considering what I should buy to replace them, a pair of Aguilar SL112's or a pair of Bergantino CN112's. There is a dealer in Istanbul for Aguilar, but not for Bergantino. Also, few weeks ago, I bought an SL112 to leave at a small venue I play quite a few time a week, and am loving it. I used to have Aguilar's GS112 and GS410 back in the day, but had never played their neo series.

Now, I am trying to decide between SL112 and CN112. Since there is no Bergantino dealer in Turkey, I have to carry them with me on a trip back from New York. Aguilar's are slightly more expensive here than they are in the U.S., but since they are in the stock of the dealer, it would save me time and all the effort to carry them with me on the plane. I usually pack well and check in, BTW, so I have never had any issues bringing my speakers to Istanbul, one by one. But it is still a hassle travelling with relatively large luggages.

Anyway, apart from all the pros and cons from a logistics perspective, is there anyone who AB'ed both speakers? I would appreciate a technical comparison. For amp/speaker synergy, I will be using them with either:

- a Markbass F1; or
    - an Aguilar TH350; or
    - a Genz-Benz Streamliner 900; or
    - an Epifani UL502.

Being a loyal Bergantino user for years, I am inclined towards the CN112's, but at the same time, I have to be rational for practical purposes as well...

Thanks in advance... Cheers,

Alper
  2. Alper Yilmaz

Disclosures:
    No one has any idea, I guess?
  3. gillento

gillento

4. KJung

KJung

Hey Alper! Hope you are well. Very sorry to hear those AE's were stolen.

I have never heard the SL cabs, so can't comment on those. I do know that if you liked the AE112's, you will most likely LOVE the CN112's. Still bright and punchy, but more absolute low end, and more max volume capability, with a bit smoother upper midrange response. VERY nice cabs if you can get your hands on them.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

If it were me just going on my sound, I would have to choose the Bergs. However, with your situation and ability to easily obtain the Aguilar cabs where you are, I would have to seriously consider them. They did sound nice in the clip that gillento posted.
  7. Alper Yilmaz

Disclosures:
    Thanks folks; this really helps a lot...

Ken, it is always great hearing from you!

And thanks for the YouTube link, gillento. The differences between the three alternatives in the clip are subtle, and I liked them all, frankly speaking. Given the slightly more mid-forward voicing of the CN112, it should sit in the mix a bit more easily than the Aguilar. But the Aggie makes one feel better playing solo because of its deeper bottom. That is how I felt about Aguilar's GS112 years ago!

Anyway, all is good! Depending on whether my AE112's will be found within the next few weeks or not, I will make my mind up...

Cheers,

Alper
  8. Alper Yilmaz

Disclosures:
    Thanks dmrogers...

A.
  9. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

I played bergs for years but recently sold them because they were too heavy. I bought the SL 112's and I like them, but if there's a lightweight bergantino....i would get that one.
    -d
    www.basslessonslosangeles.com
  10. Alper Yilmaz

Disclosures:
    Hey David,

Actually, Bergantino started light-weight production way before Aguilar. They used to have the AE series which were discontinued when the price of neodymium surged and there were supply issues. Later on Jim came up with the CN series. CN112 is 28 lbs, whereas the SL112 is a mere 25 lbs. So, kind of on par with each other in weight as well...

Best,

Alper
  11. chris_b

chris_b

Bad news, but assuming you don't get your cabs back and you like the Bergantino sound, I moved up from AE112's to a CN212 and haven't looked back, I'd get a CN112 or 2 or a CN212 sent over from Bassdirect in the UK.
  12. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Had the SL112 and sold it. Even though incredibly light the cab sounded very boxy and mid forward. Have owned several older Berg cabs (non-neo) I would go Bergantino.
  13. velalv

velalv

Hi,
    I am nowhere near your level playing wise, but I just purchased a CN112 with a Aguilar TH 500. I first purchased a TH 350 with a Aguilar DB 112. The DB 112 was much deeper and sounded a little more low mid heavy, like a modern take on the Ampeg sound. However, it was way too heavy to have to move it 2-3 times a week. Ken Jung suggested going with the CN112, and I am very happy I did. It has a solid low end and mid range, and the tweeter was not harsh at all, which was very important to me. By turning off the tweeter and fiddling with the sweepable mid on the TH, I can get a respectable vintage tone. I can turn up the tweeter some and get a good slap sound. I have had the set up about 4 weeks and played it out about 7 times. I absolutely loved it, and the CN has a lot of volume for as small as it is.
  14. Alper Yilmaz

Disclosures:
    Hi,

It looks like my experience with the SL112 is a bit different than yours. What amplifier are you using, by the way? Because mine does not sound boxy at all and it has more pronounced low end. I am powering it with an Epifani UL502.

Best,

Alper

15. Alper Yilmaz

Disclosures:
    Thanks velalv,

I am already inclined towards the CN112, even though I loved the SL112 as well. And from a practical perspective, it is more within my reach.

I will simply look into possible ways to bring a CN212 with me to Istanbul next time I am in NYC. If not, I will go for two CN112s even though one should not expect CN212 to be the same as two CN112s.

We'll see...

Alper

16. Alper Yilmaz

Disclosures:
    It turns out that the same company that is importing Aguilars in to Turkey is about to start importing Bergantino as well! In this case, CN212 it is!

Thanks for all the responses folks...

Best,

Alper
  17. njjazzman2002

njjazzman2002 Supporting Member

I suppose this news takes you from the 'Clashes' of making an Aguilar-Bergantino decision to 'Over the Clouds'. Now you can go back to focusing on cd #3. BTW, hope you get your AE's back.
  18. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

It was a GB Streamliner or an Eden WT-550.
    Maybe the amps were not a good match.
    I have used the WT 550 with 2 different Berg
    combos and it was a very good match. HT 115
    and HT 112 & 112 extension.
  19. Alper Yilmaz

Disclosures:
    ;)

Well, I am currently writing for the third album which will be keys/piano, bass and drums. So just a trio!

Thanks NJJazzMan!

Cheers,

Alper

20. Alper Yilmaz

Disclosures:
    I have the Streamliner but I never tried it with the SL112. I will give it a shot at one point for sure... I keep on having mixed feelings about that amp, frankly speaking. I am into simpler setups on my stage rigs with a simpler EQ, whereas with the Streamliner, it can be a hassle to get a desirable tone.

HT112 and its extension is one of my favorite rigs still. I have the IP112 and a HT112 which I use mostly for studio work, with a REDDI and a Millennia TD-1. So, two lines direct into the board and one or two mics, in front of the cabs if they need (you know how some musicians love a mic'ed cab better than anything).

Anyway, since I made the switch to Bergantino's almost a decade ago, I have never looked back.

Cheers,

Alper

21. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

That's great! Sounds like problem solved. Congrats!