1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bergantino CN212 vs Barefaced Super12 vs Barefaced Big Twin

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by PavelD, Jun 24, 2013.

1. PavelD

PavelD

I have money, but I can't decide. I can't try any of them.

I need "all-around", one for every scenario cabinet. I may play reggae, but I can also play funk, or driving rock, using Musicman Stingray 5.
    I limited my choice to that 3, because they are all very light and supposed to be loud for their size.
    What do you recommend, thank you?
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

What amp are you using? If its the GK MB800 you have listed in your profile that is a good choice with any of these cabs.

The CN212 gets a lot love on this site, and is supposed to be a very nice cab. It might be the most shy in the lows of the three you listed.

The Super 12 is a pretty fantastic cab, light and loud.

The Big Twin is where I would spend my money. It will give you the most low end out of the three cabs you listed, and should be perfect for the style of music you play.
  3. PavelD

PavelD

Thank you. It is MB800!
    just in case I wasn't clear enough, Although I need a lot of low end, I'll need enough mids on occasion when i play rock. Is Big Twin still an answer?
    Thanks!
  4. CL400Peavey

Yep. That mid driver in the Big Twin will cover your mid range VERY well.
  5. pfschim

pfschim Supporting Member

I'll chime in on the CN212. It has certainly not been shy in the lows for me. In fact, I have been having to re-work the EQ on my Walkabout head to get some of the big lows out of this cab.

I have no experience with the other 2 cabs you mention, but don't be put off the Berg CN212 because of some idea that it does not deliver the low end. It's very efficient at 104db, and it's advertised 40hz - 15Khz range feels verrrry honest to me, and it does it very evenly across the range.

good luck.
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

+1

It may be considered shy in comparison to the other cabs, but it is far from shy. It's more than plenty on a gig, that's for sure.

I have been asked a couple of times where the subs are by experienced sound guys when running my CN212 with NO FOH support.
  7. PavelD

PavelD

8. iualum

iualum

Big Twin. By. A. Mile (or perhaps in your case, a kilometer :D ).
  9. CL400Peavey

+1

I dont play a big twin, I went with fEARful cabs (I have a AB that is local just made sense). That said my pair of 12/6/1's is in the same ball park as the Big Twin. Dual 3012LF rig with a mid driver. I run my Stingray 5 HS and Sterling 5 HS through this rig and it can get shockingly loud for its size.
  10. MrCool84

MrCool84 Supporting Member

Another cn212 owner. Really diggin this cab!! I love that I can really slam my e string and not worry. It's deep enough and very controlled/tight. I'd love to play that big twin tho. I bet that cab slams just as well . Hopefully a big twin user will chime in to make ur decision that much harder:)
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Unlikely. There's no shortage of bottom on mine. Also, Big Twin = 57 pounds (not all that heavy), CN212 = 46 pounds (carry with one hand).
  12. CL400Peavey

Come on now, I didnt say it didnt have bottom. There have been discussions about the CN212 not having as much apparant bottom end as other Bergantino cabs. I would also put up Alex's Super 12 as one of the best, if not THE best full range 212's on the market. That said there is no question that a cab loaded with 3012LF's and a mid range driver is going to have more low end than a full range 212.

None of that says the CN212 is a bad cab, or even the cab you might prefer. But it does not objectivly show that is has "the best" low end.
  13. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized fEARful/FEARLESS/greenboy designs builder
    Obviously Berg makes some cabs that folks are giddy about, and I've played through my fair share...I'd put them in the top tier of high end cabs for sure. That being said (though I've never had two in the same room to test), it is highly unlikely that the Berg will have as much useable low end as the Big Twin. Based on the criteria, I'd do the Big Twin no contest. Thinking it might be slightly more affordable to ship a cab from the UK to Poland than to ship a Berg from the US as well.

Whichever you decide, you're gonna get a fantastic cab, so congrats in advance!
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm fine with "more than adequate."
  15. alexclaber

alexclaber

Disclosures:
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The CN212 vs the S12T is the more relevant comparison, both being compact 2-way 2x12"s with small tweeters, although one is using much heftier higher power drivers than the other. But a lot is going on here at Barefaced and there may be some other unknowns to consider... ;)
  16. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

+1.

I have always found that cabs with a lot more turn out to be way too much.
  17. MrCool84

+1 as well. With my cn212 I'm rattlin windows and knocking things of the shelf so any more low end would be too much. And that's with the bass at 1 o'clock so I could get more lows if I choose. All IMO. I still bet the big twin is an awesome awesome cab that( if money were plentiful) I would own one or there 215 (prolly both:) and +1 to much cheaper shipping for u too.. soooo which way are u leaning so far OP?
  18. CL400Peavey

If you like it, great! But that is subjective. It does not objectivly show that the CN212 has more low end than the Barefaced cabs.

I like your edit, so lets talk about that comparison. As far as max SPL goes I would bet that the Big Baby at 36 pounds is on more equal footing with the CN212. When you compare the CN212 to the Big Baby there is no question that the Big Baby is going to go lower, and be louder. If those are not the qualities that you want, then there are better cabs for you.
  19. MrCool84

Oh I'm sure the barefaced has more low end but anything more then what my cn212 can deliver would be too much for me:)
  20. alexclaber

alexclaber

Disclosures:
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    It's only there if you want it! More low end ability as it were. It doesn't make any sound on its own! ;)