1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bergantino HS410 + HS210?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by michricker, Jan 12, 2013.

1. michricker

michricker Supporting Member

Hi all. I currently have a berg HS410 cab (4ohm) I'm using with a Thunderfunk 750a. Thinking of picking up a deal on a berg HS210 (8 ohm) to use for another practice space and smaller gigs. Potentially both for the big gigs.

1) is it safe to run the hs410 + hs210 with the thunderfunk 750a? I notice really the only difference besides ohms is the cab efficiency at 104 vs 98. The cab depth is slightly smaller on the hs210.

2). Would it just sound like an "HS610"? Would be nice for bigger gigs where I may need like an 810.

3). The thunderfunk would be running at 2.7 ohms. Ok?
  2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Yes, yes, and yes. Perfect. Each driver gets the same amount of power, and at 2.67 ohms, you aren't pushing that head to its absolute limits.

Nice way to get a modular 210, 410, 610
  3. vin*tone

vin*tone Supporting Member

I've been thinking this too. But moreso bc I'd love to have the HS410 tone in a smaller package. Do the 210 and 410 sound similar?
  4. michricker

I'm not sure on the difference. But I have gigged the hs410 for last 4 years. It's my all time fav cab. Like better than the nv series too. More flexible tone wise.
  5. michricker

I heard the walkabout can also do 2.67 ohms?
  6. michricker

Thanks ken for verification. This might turn out to be the ultimate combo for me. We will see.
  7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Yes. Mesa does not recommend it, but many tbers push it at 2ohms with no problem.

I haven't heard the HD210, but it is a minor update of the HS210 which I owned a while back. Less low end than the 410, but very similar warm punchy tone. Zero issue combining them
  8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Should be amazing.
  9. michricker

Cool. Wasn't sure if there could be a phase issue due to the slight depth of cab difference. The hs210 on top of a hs410 sounds like it could be a sweet setup. Either the walkabout for tube with tweeters off ala nv610 or with the tf750 tweeters on for modern.
  10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Just stack to line up with the front of the HS410. No issue. Quite a few TBers run the similarly sized AE410/AE210 stack with either theTF750 or the Mesa M6/9 with great results

Edit: I think Jim shows that stack (HD, but close enough!) on the Bergantino home page...fYI
  11. michricker

Cool. Just took a look at the website! Love it. Except both the hs410+hs210 is costing about the same for as a new hd410. Ill stick with the hs 610 stack! Working on deal to get the hs210. At 50lbs about the same as my old gs112 small gig cab and I think I will like the hs210 much better at similar size and weight. Plus be able to stack with the 410. Awesome.
  12. michricker

Pulled the trigger on a hs210 and a db751.

After all my trials over the last month for a new rig for a new band I decided this as the ultimate gigging combo for me

Db751
    Hs410
    Hs210 on top.

At 2.6 ohms this should be pulling a little over 800 watts of DB? I know this is a lot of gear to carry but I really like the modularity of this rig. I also retain a mesa walkabout and a little mark tube for smaller venues. I bet the walkabout will sound great through the hs210 for small gigs. The small footprint of the hs210 looks great. I'm surprised some didn't like it with the lmii.
  13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Do the battery test on the entire system to ensure both cabinets are working with the same polarity. All six cones should move in the same direction with the 9V battery connected across the speaker cable.
  14. michricker

Great. Will do. If they by chance happen to be different polarity is there a way to fix?
  15. nemo

nemo Supporting Member

Easy, swap the leads in the speaker cable.
    I have HS410 and with 8 ohm 115 underneath and Walkabout on the top the sound was massive. :bassist:
  16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Easy fix, but it won't be needed. I think BassmanPaul misinterpreted your post about phasing issues between cabs of different depth/placement with 'cabs being out of phase' due to internal wiring.

It is VERY obvious if two cabs are out of phase in the sense that Paul is talking about. You will lose virtually all the low end response. Zero issue here. Plug and play!
  17. michricker

Well. Got the hs210 yesterday and took to a live session today. Used the little mark tube and played my mtd535. This is an original funk/blues band with several musicians that played for the military band. Good musicians so really fun to jam with.

First, saw some threads that the lm is not a good match for the hs210. I completely disagree, the tone and dynamics was off the hook. Great tight low end and handled the b string very well. Sounded similiar to my hs410 just a little tighter in the low end and quicker to the feel slightly. The volume was enough to hang with a fairly loud drummer. When I first got the cab and plugged in my living room was unimpressed. But after this live session it is 100% a keeper.

Next week I will bring my new to me aggi DB751 and use the HS210 which I feel more comfortable with using for this type of situation than the hs410. I'm thinking the db751 is going to be stellar.

This a a fusion/funk group and the MTD535 completely shines through this rig. I'm surprised mtds aren't used more for jazz fusion, funk, etc and seem to be centered in gospel. Anyway that's another thread.

For this summer live outdoor gigs the hs210 plus hs410 and db751 is going to be the ultimate for me with the two basses in my arsenal. I highly recommended this set up for true any gig performance.
  18. michricker

I gigged my new db751 with the berg hs210. I love the db751. The improvements are great over the 750. Tried the hs210 and hs410 through the db751 at home. I have never experienced a more awe inspiring rig such as this. Like it much better than my old nv610. Much more flexible rig. Can do a very similar vibe to the nv610 but also have the option to do more modern tone. Also louder and more authoritive. The deep tone is completely off the hook. It should be for the cost of it!
  19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Nice! I think you have the ultimate 'DB' rig..... those cabs are perfectly voiced to punch up and control the big low end of that head, and the improved mid presence of the 751 is an added bonus. Cool! Glad that all worked out. I wouldn't want to carry it, but I bet it all sounds great:bassist:
  20. michricker

The db751 without the rack ears is not a bad carry at 40lbs. Wish it had those rubber feet like the thunderfunk. Anyone done that? The aggi cases are heavy but are nice!