Bernard Edwards

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Julius95, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Julius95

Julius95

2. staindbass

staindbass Gold Supporting Member

it does sound like a pick, but in the beginning of everybody dance, it shows him playing with a finger like its a pick. I'm going to guess its his fingers with the bridge pickup.

3. fraublugher

fraublugher

He's "double thumping" with thumb for that lil bit , no pick , also called the invisible pick technique ,Larry Graham gets credit for inventing it .

4. Latitude94941

Latitude94941

Sorry, but that's not quite right. He did hold his thumb and first finger together as if holding a pick, but he used the tip of his first finger to strike the string, plucking in an up and down motion.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Julius95

Julius95

Are you guys sure he's not using a pick?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nope, no pick. At the very beginning, you can clearly see him switch to fingers once he's done playing the octaves and no pick comes out of his hand.

8. hellofromming

hellofromming

I've seen Randy Jackson in his instructional video playing with his index's nail and get a percussive sound. Maybe here is the same technique. I have no idea how they can be so solid with this technique though...

9. Alex J

Alex J

It's true Larry Graham, or maybe Doug Rauch, started the whole double thumbing thing (not Victor Wooten!), but Bernard is doing something he called 'chucking'.

This guy shows you how to do it :bassist:

10. markorbit

markorbit

Yep, Bernard had a style that had no pick but playing as if he is holding one. That said, I'm not sure about 'I'm Coming Out' which does sound picky, but 'Everybody Dance' was played that way.

11. Julius95

Julius95

Okay so after listening to I'm Coming out it sounds like he is chucking. It really sounds like picking. But am I right that chucking is used if you want to switch between pick sound and finger sound? :)

Listen here the pre-chorus, chucking maybe
    http://youtu.be/HR6pRNfhlJY?t=2m29s

12. RayMan34

RayMan34

Doesn't he get massively sore fingers using this technique?

Was chosen because of speed or just some style he's used to?

RIP 'Nard.

13. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Yup.

Ive been doing this for years. Mostly because when I was younger I either had no (!) money or no means of travel to get more picks, so when I lost them, i had to improvise. It just came naturally.

14. Alex J

Alex J

Nile Rodgers has said Bernard's hands sometimes used to be covered with blood at the end of gigs! Yowch.

15. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Yeah, it's pretty commonly known amongst Edwards fans that he used his chucking technique in "Everybody Dance". Interestingly, Nile Rodgers has credited Bernard with showing him how strum the way he does.

16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Few artists performed live on Soul Train or any tv show for that matter so who knows what technique he used in the actual recordings? it could have been any one of the techniques mentioned or all of the above in different takes? irregardless the man is one of my bass superstars.

17. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Maybe because I rarely try the technique but perhaps mainly because of Victor Wooten's teaching presence on YouTube it automatically seems faster to double thumb and I would try Bernard Edwards' techniques for the sound of the nail.