1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Besides Sadowsky...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atlboriqua, Dec 30, 2012.

1. atlboriqua

atlboriqua

I have owned a Sadowsky R5-24 for about two years. Maple fretboard / 5 string. I always keep going back to my American Deluxe Fender Jazz bass though. It has more punch and really gives me the tone I'm looking for. I will say that I prefer recording with the Sadowsky because it records EXTREMELY well. But for a live setting its not what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any recommendations for another higher end bass that would work well for both avenues?

I've looked at the Carvin SB5000 and that looks like a good option. I like the "Fender" style basses / sound so I'd like to stay in that avenue if possible but I'm open to anything.
  2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

If you can identify which EQ bands are different, perhaps you can use parametric EQ to alter the live sound to your liking.
  3. droskobass

droskobass

Disclosures:
    Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    here I go: Check out Mike Lull's basses and definitely call Mike or a dealer because there are more options than many people realize.

34" and 35" 21 or 24 fret, active and passive with many preamp options, the 4 strings have different radius options etc. and the JT and PT basses are just killer. You also get a 100% USA made bass for about the price of a metro which is nice, and the basses are Light! 7.4lbs -8.4 lbs.

Good luck!
  4. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

Lovemy Nordy VJ5!!!!!
  5. LanEvo

LanEvo Supporting Member

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The R5-24 is a great bass, but, surely not a single coil J, as you know.
    Sadowsky do make fine J basses. The new Fender American Deluxe is a nice bass.

Valenti, Nordstrand and Lull are other great choices.
  7. atlboriqua

atlboriqua

I would actually love to trade for a single coil J style Sadowsky. That would be ideal for me. I have an American Deluxe Fender and I really enjoy that!
  8. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross

I've encountered similar responses (records great, doesn't work quite so well in a live context) with a handfull of basses, including a Sadowsky -- but also including a Steinberger, a Pedulla, an Alembic, and a couple of Fenders -- and in EVERY one of those situations, the problem wasn't the bass.

It was the amp.

Something to consider.
  9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    Mike makes wonderful Jazz 5.
    I have a Lull Jazz 5, Alder body, maple neck, Rosewood Fingerboard.
    Weight 7.7 pounds.
    As good as any I've ever played, nails that old school vibe.
    Plays like butter.
  10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:
    Yea, a Sadowsky jj or pj

Rob
  11. atlboriqua

atlboriqua

I've played it through an SWR rig, Trace Elliot Rig, David Eden and Ampeg SVT rig. I've also used it direct as well as running it through a crown power amplifier with no EQ or anything into a cabinet. I still have not found an setting / tone I really like for a live setting. But my American Deluxe Jazz works well in both situations. If anything I may just keep to use for recording.
  12. atlboriqua

atlboriqua

The main difference for me is having a "mid" knob. The sadowsky records so well because the way the pre amp is designed, it cuts out the frequencies you typically would remove in a recording situation. I believe right around 300 +/-. It sounds very round and full. But I really like to use mids to add some punch and growl to my tone. I think Sadowsky's "Vintage Tone Control" solves that problem. I wish I had that on my Sadowsky.
  13. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    I've never had this problem. In fact, it's not uncommon for people to comment how well they cut the mix (when I want it to) but remain full in the bottom. The "B"s are huge.

It's a lot to do with EQ. I use very little. Bass players are always surprised at how flat my EQ is. If you use a lot of EQ you'll start having issues. I've found keeping EQ simple lets the bass speak more clearly.

I have a Vintage 5 with single coils (VTC) and a Modern 24 with the soapbars (pre VTC). Both are NYC's.
  14. atlboriqua

atlboriqua

What have you found to be the tone differences between the soapbars and the single coils?
  15. atlboriqua

atlboriqua

Don't get me wrong. It sounds great!! And the B's are HUGE!! I think it may come down to a pickup style preference for me.
  16. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I've had a great time with my Carvin LB5000-it records really well and sounds great in a band context (I mostly use it in 10-14 piece horn bands and it cuts really well and supports the band). The pickups and electonics are quite different from any of my other Carvins-the only caveat is that the great pups are single coils so there are some issues if you solo pickups with hum, but no more than a Jazz Bass.
    If I were going get another instrument I would consider an SB5001 with the figured top and hollow body chambers. My bass is Swamp Ash w/maple/maple (really nails the Marcus tone) and it can get heavy. It's an excellent value for the money.
  17. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Just tried an SB4000 today at Guitar Center and I was amazed at it's tone. Obviously didn't record with it or play in a live situation, but it was so much more bass than I was expecting.
  18. atlboriqua

atlboriqua

I have really wanted to play an SB5000. I just haven't had the chance. The ones I've heard though sound phenomenal.
  19. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    You could swap for single coils.

Tone difference between the soaps and singles is hard to tell because the location is so different.

The M is punchy w. lots of mid honk because they are both shifted towards the bridge. The V is a lot rounder because they are in '60's position. If I favor the bridge on the V it does get that punchy mid honk but the single does seem to have a slightly more open sound.

With the V I was torn on the pickup selection so I asked Kevin. He said that they sound pretty much the same in a given position.
  20. johng999

johng999

I have just settled into different basses for different work. My 78 Ash Precision is killer in the studio but too heavy as a day to day bass. Lately I've been playing a 55 CS Precision RI and/or a Tele bass (Single coil) as I like the way the single coils sound with my trio, but they would probably be too noisy in the studio.
    Interesting that the Tele is heavy (around 10 lbs) but doesn't really bother my back as much as some of my other heavy basses (Warwick, Precision, etc.)