Best 12 inch speakers with Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BassistForJesus, Jan 22, 2013.

1. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Please list the best 12 to pair with my newly acquired Shuttle 3.0 and why? (will be used for small gigs and practice)
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd say Bergantino HD112s - tight and articulate. I like the Aguilar GS112s, too, but not as much as the Bergs.
  3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I really like the new Genz Shuttle 112 cab. The update is much more full sounding than the original, it is SUPER lightweight, has a nice tilt back stand built in, and is voiced very nicely (tight low end and plenty of mid warmth) to match up nicely with that head.

It has nice efficiency, so the rather limited wattage of the Shuttle 3 pushes it nicely.

It is a bit spendy, so if you are on more of a budget, the lower end Genz 112 (forgot the name of product line, but relatively lightweight for a ceramic loaded cab, and a VERY good value) is also a good optio for that head without breaking the bank.

Edit: The GK Neo112(II) is also very nice... lightweight, good efficiency (volume per watt) and quite affordable.

If I was not budget limited, that newer Shuttle 112 cab is really, really nice with the Genz heads.
  4. rpsands

rpsands

The Shuttle 3.0 is not going to be loud enough with a single 1x12 (Even for small gigs I'd be worried; that amp is gutless at 8 ohms).

With that in mind I'd get a Genz NX 212 minimum.

If you are really sure you can get by with a single 12, try the NX2-12.

* The all time best cab I can imagine for pairing a single of with the 3.0 would be Duke's Hathor 115 - not much bigger or heavier than any other high end 1x12, but super loud and amazing sounding.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I would think that if a relatively high efficiency 112 was not enough with the Shuttle 3 for his needs, given the OP's goal of a small practice type rig, I would sell the head and get more power rather than get a much larger cab just to increase efficiency.

+1 though, a low efficiency, deeply voiced 8ohm 112 would not make many happy with that particular head. I as relatively impressed with the Shuttle 112 performance at low to moderate volumes.
  7. iualum

iualum

8. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Thank you. I had actually been looking at the new shuttle or Berg AE. Have seen nothing but praise on the single 12 of both company but low volume and good tone is just as important especially with my new baby. BTW, I don't know if mentioning that I play an MTD 535 changes an opinion?
  9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I guess the only thing that changes is that the HUGE low end that the MTD basses put out (gigged a 535 for years myself) really can put a lot of strain on a rig. Doesn't really change my recommendations, since quite frankly, your head at 8ohms is the primary limiting factor.

As long as you don't crank that MTD bass control, and as long as you don't slap a lot (which can really push a rig's capabilities), you should be find with a cab like the Shuttle 112, a used Berg AE112 if you can find it (that is also a nice, tight, relatively efficient, lighweight 12), etc.

IMO.
  10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Here is a clip that might be a little helpful. The audio quality is quite good IF you have a decent set of headphones.

It is a demo of the updated Shuttle 6.2/12T combo and extension cab. So, a bit more power, but IMO a somewhat similar general tone to your Shuttle 3. I am using a 70's style J bass, so not the deep bass and super sizzle top end of your instrument, but at least it is a full range instrument with stainless steel rounds, so you can get a feel for the general tone of the rig.

Skip the blah blah up front, which is more of a description of the updated combo. Just forward to about the middle of the clip.

Anyway, I'm impressed with these little 112's, and for matching with the Shuttle 3 and for use in the contexts you are describing, the updated Shuttle 112 is pretty top notch IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hlkyiGhjao&feature=player_detailpage
  11. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Thank you Ken. I will be purchasing a new Genz Benz 112, unless I see a,sweeter deal on Talkbass for a Berg AE.
  12. JI99

JI99 Supporting Member

Ken have you compared the new Shuttle 112 cab to the Focus or NX2 1x12's?

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Only at NAMM, and that doesn't really count. IMO, the Focus cabs are kind of 'good for the money' to my ear (and also the reviews coming out). The larger NX112 has a bit more oomph, but the tone of that updated Shuttle 112 is just GREAT.
  14. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Ken I admire your passion, knowledge, and experience for the bass guitar, the gear, and talkbass community. A lot of my purchased are purely from reviews since I don't have the resources or store to try wonderful equipment especially when I lived in rural New Mexico for most of my life. Reviewers like yourself make sure that if we shop in the custom or boutique part of the market that we are not making a mistake or making less of a mistake. That in itself is difficult since sound is so subjective. Thank you for your unbiased reviews.
  15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I do love to try to help players out who have not had the chance to try stuff like I have (since it is kind of my hobby). Of course, talking about the stuff (and even putting up clips) only goes so far, but hopefully it helps sometime in narrowing down choices. Thanks!